Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homebrew temp ????

Homebrew temp ????

I did not know whether to put this under cooking, or hobbies, but thought it fit here better.

I am starting my first batch of home brew soon, and the only place I have to ferment it is about 60deg. Is that to cold? BTW it is an Ale. This is my first batch, and don’t want to lose it. Thanks
    Paul Bradway

Re: Homebrew temp ????

One way to solve "too cold" ... or at least so I discovered when winemaking in chilly Alberta .... thermal blanket around the primary fermenter. I never did get to homebrew ... my friend who was REALLY good at it made more than enough so I stuck with wine. The fermentation does take longer (and may not complete) if you don't keep the "brew" warm enough.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

So just wrap it up? Will that warm it up a bit? The brew shop says that 65-75 deg. is the best. This room stays at about 60, so I only need to go 5 deg.
    Paul Bradway

the fermentation process generates heat ... so I found that the thermal blanket (I actually had the wife sew it into the proper shape to slip over the primary fermenter) worked just well enough to keep it at the requisite temp.
    I was doing mine in the basement and it was about 60 degress ... so ... it worked for me ... your mileage may vary.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Cool, Thanks.

Hopping I have time this weekend to get started. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Re: Homebrew temp ???? I gotta ask

are we making moon shine? I might need to know this!...sorry I know this has nothing to do with the temp but heck who knows I might wanta try this.........
    Farm living what a life!!

Nope, no moodshine, just beer. But when I was younger, I had a few frends and..................................aw never mind [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

well, I guess I did not think about beer but, wow I guess that is a fact! It all does not sit down at the nearest wet town in bottles someone does have to make it. I think I am getting another "LUCY" thought!
    Farm living what a life!!

Sorry to jump in so late here, you're probably already bottling (or kegging). A 5 degree temp is really not going to make much difference, especially with an ale. All it might do is slow down the fermentation a little. Traditional ales in England are cask-conditioned (naturally carbonating the beer with a secondary fermentation in the cask) at "cellar temperature", which is considered to be about 55 degrees. Actually, a slightly slower fermentation is usually a good thing, if you've been careful with sanitation; it will help to bring out the aromatic esters in the ale.

OTOH, you don't want to get much colder than that with an ale yeast, or you risk a stuck fermentation. The advice about wrapping the fermenter with a thermal blanket of some kind is probably a pretty good idea.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I've made a lot of beer, and the stuff is pretty forgiving, especially ales. The best advice I have is from homebrew guru Charlie Papazian "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!"

Just my .02

Darel

No problem. Just got around to brewing last weekend. Went good. It is still a little cold in there, but shes bubling. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We will see what next week brings.
    Paul Bradway