Thread: Turkey of Beef?

Turkey of Beef?

Our turn to have the family over for a pre-Christmas dinner this weekend. I've got 7 people coming - including 2 brother-in-laws that can really pack it away.

I'm having difficulty deciding on a standing rib roast or turkey. I have no idea how much of either I would need. I don't want to go to the butcher and basically tell him, in not so many words, that today's his lucky day.

Obviously, it is absolutley imperative that I have more than enough food. Cost is not a concern (I expect the beef could cost upwards of 100$ CDN).

What would you serve? Why? What size?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Turkey of Beef?

Pig! A counrty ham is the top of my list. What time should I be there?
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

For Thanksgiving we served Turkey. I got a 14 pounder for 5 adults and 1 kid. There was about 1/2 a bird left. It depends on how much other stuff you have. Trust me, a couple of us can pack it away too. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] If all you are serving is beef or turkey, plan you're gonna neeed more.

For Christmas, I'm with theboman, ham and yams! Yum.

SHF

Oh yeah, there'll be lots more. Probably roasted potatoes, carrots and onions. Cauliflower or broccoli, various pickled veggies, and a bunch of other goodies.

Sorry. I know I'm in the minority, but I just can't do ham. Now a pork roast is another story.

Must be dinner time, cause that just made me drool. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I guess it just depends on how many left overs you want. The good thing about Turkey is you can always use some as a sleeping pill [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] .

Of course, you could always cheat and just get 7 cornish game hens. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Maybe a couple extra for the big eaters.

A nice pork/beef roast is good too, and I'm partial to an English cut beef roast.

SHF

Both! Depending on the capacity of your oven you could do one of each.

We've got a large crowd of family coming over Christmas. I'm planning on roasting a goose (never done that before) and a ham. The ham is my backup in case the goose doesn't turn out [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I've decided to go with the beef. I'll get a whole standing rib (prime rib) roast, which I believe is 7 ribs or enough for 12 - 14 people. That's perfect because there will only be 7 of us.

Nothing wrong with having roast beef sandwiches for the next week. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Good choice! That's been a tradition in my house at Thanksgiving ever since we moved to Texas . . . cheap beef!

A pound a person is plenty, actually overkill, unless you really want leftovers.

I've cooked mine with a wet rub (olive oil and rosemary as the main ingredients) as well as a dry rub (black pepper and garlic as main ingredients). We always cook it outside on the grill. It has two burners so you just put the meat on one side and start the burner on the the other. Depending on the temperature, as well as how done you want your roast, start it about 3 hours early. The grill method may not work in your neck of the woods at Christmas though [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Fishman

Re: Turkey or Beef?

Rob doesn't have a bad idea. A roast in the oven and a small bird on the BBQ. A ten pound turkey (not stuffed) set upright on the grill so the body cavity serves as a chimney will cook to perfection in 1:45 at med-high heat. Delicious!

Pete

Re: Turkey or Beef?

Boondox, I'm a little late with this reply, but, try this:
    I take a 4 or 5 pound chicken, and set it down on a beer can, so the cavity completely encases the beer can. Of course the can should be full of beer, minus a few small swallows.

Set the chicken upright on the grill so the beer will not spill.

While the chicken is cooking, the beer will turn to steam, and make the chicken as moist as any I have ever had. We call this drunken chicken when we have company. Otherewise, I call it beer but chicken.

You can also use vinegar bbq sauce in the can instead of beer. The bbq sauce flavor really gets absorbed in the chicken. In Eastern NC, we only use vinegar based sauce - we are not much on tomato based sauces.

For a really good roasted chicken, try the beer can. I guarantee you will like it.