Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: frozen chili

frozen chili

We have eaten chili until the breaking point. Can we freeze this concoction if the meat had been previously frozen? I've heard it may not be good for you but I don't know. Got enough problems being waterbound. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Patrick

Re: frozen chili

I do it all the time... I use small microwave dishes so I can have it one bowl at a time, anytime. My aunt uses large ziploc bags and thaws it out at a meal per package.

I thought everyone knew about freezing chili. For years my mom and my wife have made huge batches of chili -- and spaghetti sauce -- and then put them in smaller containers and stuck them in the freezer.

It's great when my wife has to go out of town or we are very busy certain days, to just head down to the basement in the morning, pull out some chili, let it thaw, and have an instant homecooked meal for dinner. With the microwave, you can speed up the defrost time.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

So you guys think it is ok even if the hamburger had already been frozen once?

Maybe I am thinking of my mom saying not to refreeze thawed uncooked meat. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Patrick

As long as meat has been cooked you can refreeze it., but only once if its raw. Hope this helps
    Larry

Poorboy:

H A M B U R G E R ?????????? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

People in Texas have been executed for putting ground beef in chile. You use CHILE MEAT!! My wife does put some ground pork in with the beef chile meat however, and it is REAL good.

If you put enough jalepeno peppers in there no germ could survive anyway.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

What is chili meat Allan ?

Egon

Egon, chili meat is either more coarsely ground, or better still, chopped or diced perhaps similar to or slightly smaller than stew meat. However, if you season the chili right, your won't know what kind of meat it is anyway. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] My wife makes pretty darned good chili with hamburger meat (she's originally from out of state, but been here a long time), but I'll never forget one Saturday morning when she told me one of us needed to go to the grocery store to get a few things, including ground beef. Well, we got busy and I forgot all about it. We had a big pot of good chili for supper that night and later, while watching TV, I remembered what she'd said that morning, so I said, "I thought you told me this morning you were out of ground beef." She said, "We are." I said, "Well what did you make that chili out of then?" And she said, "Half moose and half bear." And I never even thought about the difference when I was eating it. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Egon ... those Texicans have a real problem with "hamburger" .... when I moved my wife up to Alberta she was horrified ... HORRIFIED ... that I bought hamburger for chili, burritos, etc. What does she use? Well, ground round, ground chuck ... in other words ... ground beef. The ground chuck she proudly brings home from the supermarket - when it's on sale doesn't look as good to me than the extra lean hamburger I used to buy ... but then, our butchers never bragged about what cut they were grinding ... they just made darn sure it was good beef.

Oh well ... what can you say about someone who actually enjoys eating "hot dogs" (or what I call "a$$h*les and eyelids"

hey Bird and Alan ... just kiddin'! Love y'alls food ... specially the barbeque!

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

One thing I notice when I order a burger in the US, they always ask me how well I want it done. That is like the biggest no-no around here - hamburgers are well-done and there are no 2 ways about it. There are even reminders on the packages of ground beef, something like "Clean board, clean hands, 180 degrees."

The way I understand it, the bacteria that causes serious problems doesn't have a chance to reproduce enough until 24 hours after grinding. So, if you ask the butcher to grind it for you, or you grind it yourself at home, I would think that much of the danger is eliminated.

I plan on purchasing a good quality meet grinder in the near future. Not only because I want to start making my own sausages, but also to gain control over cost and quality of my ground beef.