Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: frozen chili

Re: frozen chili

I'm afraid I only want my steak tartare pretty well done, too. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave, I guess you'd like Parisa. When we were staying about 3 weeks in Medina, TX, I read a little of the history of the town and about how Parisa was a popular dish. So one night in a restaurant, I saw it listed with the appetizers and thought I'd try something new and ordered it. The waitress apologized, but said they were out of it. The next day, I saw it for sale in the meat counter of a local grocery store; looked like ground beef with cheese mixed in, so once again I thought I'd try it. I asked the cashier how to cook it and she looked at me like I was an idiot (probably right, too). You don't cook it; it's ground beef, american cheese, onion, serrano peppers, lime juice, salt and pepper, and served with beer (plenty of beer according to what I've read). I decided that I really didn't need to know what Parisa tasted like. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Steve, yep that much Jalepeno should do the trick.

I must confess that we have used ground beef in chile before, when we didn't have chile meat, and it actually tastes just fine.

I went into a little grocery store in Telluride, Colorado one day and asked for "chile meat". They didn't know what it was either. I like it because it has that precise texture, when mixed in there with the peppers, stewed tomatoes and other ingredients, that makes it perfect.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Davel, I have tried steak tartar and also sushi once each.

It's the little out of site bugs that can do nasty things to your body that really frighten me. The contamination can come from so many different sources its impossible to control them.

EG: not to long ago seven people died and hundreds got sick from treated town water that was not monitored properly.

Each to their own and may that always apply.

Egon

Dave, I certainly don't mind medium-rare burgers. I also like my steak "blue." But, I would never eat a less than well-done burger unless:

1) I know and trust the butcher and he is aware that I like my burgers that way,
    2) I actually see him grinding the meat, or
    3) I ground the meat myself.

In all 3 cases, the ground beef would need to be consumed within 24 hours, as - like I said before - this is how long it takes for the "nasties" to get busy enough to cause problems (severe, permanent ones).

I don't mind steak tartar, but the idea of grinding up such a choice piece of meat does not appeal to me.

Guys,

I think we need to give the chains at least a little credit. After all, they developed enough flavor enhancers to make even non-meat taste like badly cooked beef. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve