Thread: treadle sewing machines

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

treadle sewing machines

Anyone ever use a treadle sewing machine? Any problems or hints? I see alot of cheap electric sewing machines in yard sales- how can I convert one of these to a treadle machine? I can get a base. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: treadle sewing machines

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Anyone ever use a treadle sewing machine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, that's what folks as old as I am learned to sew with. Now I've seen some treadle machines converted to electric but have never seen an electric converted to treadle, so I don't guess I can help you there.

very much doubt that you could convert a modern electric to treadle ... especially if you've veer cracked a case to see how the sewing machine works.It would be pretty hard to convert the direct drive motor to a pully system.
    I've not used them, but my wife, mother and grandmother did. Everyone wanted my grandmothers treadle machine when she passed on ... they're so incredibly strong comapred to any of the stabdard machines. Can't do all the fancy stitchery ... but you can sew three layers of canvas or leather with ease.
    eBay would be my suggestion for a source ... but don't expect to find one cheap .... they're considered antiques by most folks.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

If you have the base take the motor off the sewing machine and run a belt from the pulley on the treadle to the pulley which the motor's belt connected to on the sewing machine.

Lehman's, down in Amish country, sells both a reproduction treadle machine, and a modern machine converted to treadle. They are quite upfront about their machines... production sewers, serious users, should buy the modern machine converted to treadle.

I myself do not like electric machines. They tend to run away with me. So last summer I bought a treadle at auction, a 1902 in absolutely mint condition. I paid as much for it as I would have expected to pay for a nice new modern machine. Came with all the attachments, no manual. Singer (you have to love this company) has all their manuals posted online, so I simply downloaded a copy. Ebay has someone selling kits for these old machines that include belts (plus mounting instructions), bobbins, and needles. Some things never go out of style ;-) .

The difficult part of the conversion would be mating a wheel to work the works to the modern machine, and finding a working, solid, base and cabinet. I personally think you'd be better off gritting teeth and battering your way to the winning bid at an auction.

T
    The Farm at Morrison Corner
    &lt;a href="http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/summerindex.htm"&gt;Visit Us!&lt;/a&gt;