Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running phone wire on power pole

Running phone wire on power pole

How close can I mount phone wire to existing power wire on my power pole?

I have my own pole, to run power from the house to the barn. I want to run a phone wire to the barn also. Do the wires have to be a certain distance apart? Its about 50 feet from house to pole, and another 50 feet to the barn.

Now I've got the power line, plus two other wires. I think they are for the light on the pole.

I'm also thinking about putting in an intercom between the barn and house. I could buy one of those handset phones that can talk to the base unit, or get a separate intercom system. Any comments on that??

Pete
    Pete

Re: Running phone wire on power pole

I'm not sure on this one, but I think the minimum distance is about 6" from 110v wires. For motors I think it kicks up to about 3'. The primary problem is interference in the phone line caused by the magnetic field running along the power line.

Steve

Pete,
    It's somewhere around 3', but I don't have a copy of the National Electrical Safety Code. Different from the National Electrical Code.

Jerry

Thanks guys,

I'll keep it at least 3 feet away. I'll try to find someone with the NESC.
    Pete

I'd go with the cordless phones or the Motorola frs radios. The 100 foot distance is well within the range of both.

How far do the utilities keep them apart on the poles along side the road? That would be a good indicator for you.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have you considered just trenching it in? Since it isn't carrying much electrical power, it wouldn't have to be as deep as a power line. This would eliminate the possibility of interference frrom the power line and save you having to climb.

Steve

I guess this would be a good excuse, er.. reason, to get a sub-soiler for the little kubota.. I'd have to go under the driveway though. Think I'd rather climb a pole.. eventually I want to put everything underground.
    Pete

If you decide to put it on the pole, remember to get UV wire. A lot of your typical wiring cannot be exposed to sunlight for long periods of time as the coating will break down.

You may also consider wireless intercoms. I've seen these in use and seem to work pretty well. Home Depot or a bigger home improvement store should have them.

Good luck!

- Gerald

Keep in mind that the phone company aerial cable is on the "outside" of the lightning protectors. If you are running from your home, out to a shed, you will be exposed to potential lightning effects. I am not 100% sure on the rules for this, but you may want to put another protector (like a fuse essentially) at the shed. Call your freindly phone people (or Verizon) [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]