Thread: Porter Cable 691RS

Porter Cable 691RS

I was thinking about buying my first router and have been looking at the 691RS which includes a router table and a plunge router base along with the D ring handle base. Is seemed to be a alot for the money. Especially for just getting started. Anyone had any experience with this combo?

Randy

Re: Porter Cable 691RS

I just purchased the Bosch combo which includes the fix base and plunge base. Its was a little more than the Porter Cable equivilent, but a recent review in a Woodworking mag convinced me I wanted the Bosch. Main deciding factor was that the on/off switch on the Porter Cable changes location when adjusting height using the fix base.

I like Porter Cable's stuff, I have one of their's circular saws (left handed with a cased base) and like it very much.

Larry
    Larry

Is that the 1617 combo kit you purchased? I did look at the kit is appears to be a more powerful machine that the PC. How do you like it and is it easy to use? The main reason I was looking at the PC was the table included to get me started. When I looked at the Bosch table it costs as much as the router did [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

Randy

The router and tables prices are minor compared to the price of good bits.

Egon

I will agree with that. I have two sets of raised panel bits that were right around 100 bucks a set. Thing about them though like most shaper bits. Take care of them use them right and they will last a life time. Ive made lots of doors with them and they are still like brand new. Carbide is the only way to go. Ive thrown out my share of high speed steel bits. Thats after taking them to work and sharpening them.
    Happy wood working to all, Larry

Yes, its the combo. I've just got it a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to play yet. I agree with only using carbide bits. I was an ag teacher for a while and in one small rural Iowa school, I was the ag teacher and the industrial arts teacher (we alled it farm shop since I wasn't certified in Industrial Arts). I learn there that the non-carbide bits didn't last.

Larry
    Larry

Larry
    After you mentioned the Bosch, I did some more checking and after reading the reviews in the March issue of American Woodworking, I went and purchased the Bosch combo from Amazon.com. It had the guide for free and Amazon would ship it for free and no sales tax too [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. In the same issue they showed how to make a router table and now that is my plan to make the table shown. After spending all my money on a router, I may not have any left over to buy those carbide bits that I now need. Do you have any favorites for bit manufactures? I have looked at Amana, Whiteside, MLCS, Viper and Woodline Arizona. And everone is right they are expensive but I agree, carbide is the only way to go.
    Thanks for the heads up on Bosch.

Randy

Whiteside comes highly recomended, I've not tried them as I don't do much "fine" woodworking.
    I've found Frued and Magna to be decent for my general cabinet repair work and not too expensive if I buzz a nail head. Might use these for "beaters" if you have any rough stuff to do.

Randy,

Yes, I brought mine through Amazon also. I haven't enough experience with the different brands yet to make a recommendation however, most people seem to like the Freud. I'll looking at the Grizzly and will probably give one or two of these a try.

Larry
    Larry