Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forest Management

Re: Forest Management

Just passing on information from what I've learned from the from the NCRS agents and biologist I've talked to not what I remember.
    Mike

I didn't mean to negate anything you recommended, as I too think controlled burning is a good management tool. I was just poking fun at one of those that "got away" which occasionally happens. As you know the wind can come up as well as the burn will start to create its own wind from the rising heat, and "away it goes". Burning under pines and keeping the fire just hot enough to burn what is on the ground and not so hot that it jumps up into the crowns of the pine, is a touchy trick for the firemen to perform. And being on the ground when a crown fire takes off is not a pleasant or safe environment, but can be deadly.

Got some new informaion today from the forest service. It seems that the best way for us to control unwanted (trees) vegetation is to slash and spray. Meaning a diesel (penetrates bark),water and Remedy mix first to kill unwanted vegetation then burn after that is done. Slash and spray means slashing the tree or vegetation with an axe etc. then spraying. After targeted species are dead then burning. Seems like the gist of the converstion was use chemicals first then burn off the dead vegetation. He also gave me a number to a company that will do the burns without legal obligation to the landowner.
    Mike
    No offense taken just trying to pass on information

I watched a program on one of the University Channels about controlling Star Thistle. They were recommending controlled burns and had an awful lot of hard data to back them up. A number of studies all pointing at the efficiency of controlled burns. Looks good, as long as you can control it.

Steve

What an education! Thanks ya'll. I have a couple of calls in to a local forestry service to get their take on it.

But based on the input from everyone here controlled burns do have their place. And I too am finding a lot of research to support that. I now see the benefit.

Great feedback!!

r_y

Beenthere That was near Mac Lake I have a cabin just north of there. They lost 45 cabins if I remember right then decided they wern't going to give permits to build new ones. lost in court needless to say. Big firt south of McKineley Mio area 3 years ago Killed alot of the smalle pines but the rest was great for the wild life.

Mikell

Sounds like you need to talk to your state forestry commission or a registered forester. A good local forester will know how to get and keep your forest healthy. They will understand the natural fire regime for your ecosystem as well as the risks and rewards of controlled fire. They will work to implement your goals for the land. You might also enjoy talking to a wildlife biologist if having thriving critter populations is part of your plan for your property.

Robert

I am new to CBN from TBN and did not notice how old this thread is.

Robert