Thread: Got the heat riser off the manifold

Got the heat riser off the manifold

I know it doesn't sound like cause for celebration, but those of you who have had to fight stubborn rusted bolts on old cars and trucks will understand. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It took three days of soaking in penetrating oil, some heat and vibration, but I got the sucker off! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: Got the heat riser off the manifold

Yep, I've been there; done that, Pete. We used to sell a "universal" kit to replace the OEM heat risers when I was a teenager in Dad's auto parts store.

Bird, I hope you had better experience with anything automotive labeled as a "universal" kit. My exp. is that they universally don't fit anything!

Gary

my favorite subject right now "fighting stubborn rusted bolts".
    I paid for repairs to my truck yesterday and I'm headed out in a little while to pick it up.
    Exhaust manifold gasket was toast ... and they charged me SIX HOURS for removal of the nuts and studs! Heat and/or penetrating fluid ...and it took them SIX HOURS ... oh and then another hour (extra) to mate up the exhaust wye ...
    am I upset? Heck no ... tune up that cost $1265 nah ... sure glad wifey had the 10% off labor coupon or I mighta been a little piqued ... [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

pete (2)
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Gary, I agree that many "universal" replacements are not the best way to go, but we sold quite a few of those things with a money back quarantee and never had anyone ask for their money back.

Holy cow, Pete! $1265! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I am SO lucky to have a mechanic who (a) likes old trucks, and (b) lets me have at it when it comes to something that would take a lot of time and labor $$$, and (c) knows all the tricks for keeping these old trucks running.

Pete

Unfortunately, Pete ... I've worked on old trucks (pre-70's) ... and am smart enough to leave new (post 80's) alone ... with the trucks in between I'm sometimes in my depth and sometimes out. This truck has always been a pain (in the way of maintenance) ... it appears to have been designed to make maintenance awkward. Shadetree oil changes are a pain since the drain plug is directly over the axle ... the rad is as bad. And changing plugs is difficult since the air chamber for the heating/cooling completely obstructs the back 2 plugs from the top ... and I don't have a hoist.
    So .... when it started acting VERY badly, I suggested that wifey should take it in and get it looked at. The last tuneup, the pretend-wrench had stated the carb needed to be replaced (I took them off my list of places to go) ... and I tried to find a place that could scope the older vehicles. A good mechanic is kinda hard to find in this area since it's rather afluent and there aren't gangs of old vehicles around ... most of the wrenches here are "replace parts until it works again" folks.
    Anyway ... when they told me that the exhaust manifold gaskets were history, I knew it would be expensive ... since the engine has never been touched since it was new. Bolts that attach exhaust components are likely quite brittle after 25 years ... I was just surprised at that fact that it took them as long as it would take me ... laying on my back in the drive. I always expect that the experts can do it faster and better than I can and resent paying for their kid's braces ... I just want to pay for value-added work.
    I guess I'm just old and cranky!
    Hey ... how far away is your mechanic and would you mind if I took the truck there .... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    The bad part is wifey likes to chat ... and so they knew the truck was an "heirloom" (and charged accordingly) ... it was her daddy's and she's certainly daddy's girl. So I keep it in the best shape I can afford to ... and it's hard to keep an engine in good shape when you use the truck 12 or 14 times a year to haul hay or sawdust .....

Oh well, enough venting ... $1265 is cheaper than payments on a new truck that would be used as little as this one is .... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    (86,000 miles on a 78 F150 with 8,000 miles in the past 6 years ... 7600 os which were 3 hiway trips hauling an overloaded trailer)

pete (2) [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

86k on an 78 is phenomenal. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] Must've been parked ina garage for a few years.

Steve

When "I" got it in '98, Steve, it had 78k on it. used mainly to haul stuff from town down in the piney woods in Texas. Wife's mother gave it to "me", since she thought it needed a good home after my father-in-law passed away. And, at the time, I was talking about renting or buying a truck to haul wife's "stuff" up to Alberta (shortly after I married her. So, southeast Texas to northern Alberta pulling overloaded trailer, new paint job (to make it look new again), transfer to Michigan ... so northern Alberta to mid-Michigan pulling trailer with all my toys (and electric golf cart in the truck bed) ... then down to SE TExas to get final load of wife's "stuff" and pulling an overloaded trailer back here again. Other than that ... if I put 100 miles a month on it, it'd be unusual ... it's my "hauler" and get's used for hauling horse supplies, period. Well, no ... now I remember I drove it down to Chicago to haul back my old Goldwing when the wife thouhgt the trade-in was too low.
    Anyway, I'm the third owner ... both the original owner and my father-in-law babied it and kept it in mint condition. Still got all the original bells-and-whistles including hood lock (inside) and side toolbox. Did replace the floor carpetting and the window flashing.
    Based on the scope results, I expect this 351 has lots of life in it yet ...

pete

Reminds me of my bronco. It's a 76. I bought it in '96 with 69k on it. I've traced the history a little in my area and it's had quite a life. Sold in a neighboring town, a high schooler had it for a couple years, then it gets fuzzy. I understand it mostly sat in a barn at a vacation home for 12 years.The owner used it to launch his boat in the nearby lake. The truck supports this as it smelled/smells "barny." [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    It was shuffled around a little from owner to owner for 4-5 years and then I spotted it in the classifieds embedded in an ad for a table and chairs. fyi, I didn't buy the table and chairs.
    I've added about 31k to the clock and had a lot of fun with it. I get a compliment, story, or an offer about once a month.
    I have many plans for restoration and some modification for this one and my dad's '68 F100.

Come to think of it, the '68 has it's own (shorter) story. Dad bought it in '68. It was the only one on the lot with A/C. 390FE,C6,camper special with 4.11s. (woohoo!) It's been a work truck from day one. Hauled everything, been overloaded more times than I can remember and been the most faithfull old friend. Hasn't been run in 2 months, but I bet it would start right now. The last time we had it assesed/tagged he added my name to the title, so I guess it's half mine. As long as he's alive though, it's still "Dad's truck." I need to find a 428 crank and a FT block for that thing...

Guess I've babbled long enough...