Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw?

What 12\" Sliding Compound Miter Saw?

I just got the OK to pick up a new sliding compound mitersaw. What is a good one. It's first project will be a entertainment aimior. Then some small projects until I start new cabinets.

Steve

Re: What 12\" Sliding Compound Miter Saw?

Check your local libary...there was an excellent comparison of SCM saws just a couple of months ago in American Woodworker (I think). Actually I'm not sure of the publication. I'll check at home tonight and let you know the findings.

Pete

Couda been the Dewalt or Makita.

Egon

Pop Woodworking (Oct 2002) recommends
    Makita LS1011N or LS1013 (Both are 10" sliders)

American Woodworker (fall 2002) recommends
    Makita LS1013 (Editors Choice)
    Bosch B3915 (10"?)
    Dewalt DW708 (12")
    Hitachi C10FS (10"?)
    Makita LS1212 (12"?)

I've got a Dewalt DW705S (12" NON slider) very happy so far.

I don't think you can go wrong with the DeWalts, Makita, Hitcachi or Miliwakes. Try them out & see which features you like.
    Hazmat

I have the Makita LS1013. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the top brands either. Try 'em out if you can, but I am real happy with mine.

I have the Dewalt 12" compound slider (DW708?). It is an excellent saw. I specifically like the accuracy and range of movement. I also bought their stand with extension for it. It's a heavy "portable" but well worth the cost. For fine fitting work, I use a 12" Forrest blade designed for compound sliders. Hook up a dust collector to keep it clean.

I had the 12" Dewalt for about 4 years now. One sweet saw, I am still amazed at how cleat the cuts are. Dust collection on the version I have is virtually useless, but the new scheme looks like it might work. I can retofit for about $15.

Its a heavy beast, but thats what makes it stable, I figure.

But the only thing I'd fix is the dust collection, and they may have fixed it.

I too have the DeWalt 12" (also a 10"), and like it very much. After doing a lot of heavy construction, and then the finishing trim work, I was very impressed with the accuracy of the miter and compound miter cuts. I am curious about your comment for a "dust collector" upgrade. I would be very interested as this saw is "dirty". Any information you can share?

I also have the stand from DeWalt, and am very impressed with how rugged it is and how well it works. No complaints at all.

Well, I was at a tool show on Saturday, and I stopped by the Dewalt place. A rep was showing off the 12" saw, and I said it was great, except for the dust collection, which was pretty much useless. He pointed out they had a new design for the sort of snorkle behind the blade and he said it worked real well.
    He gave me his card and said that I could buy a retrofit kit for my slightly older saw. I haven't got one yet, but I might go this weekend. I'll let y'all know.

I have that saw with the snorkel your talking about. 12" purchased about 6 months ago.
    Saw is great I love it.

But to say that the dust collector is very effective is a stretch. It gets the big stuff but you will still have quite a cloud of fines.

Fred