Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piping for Compressed Air - PVC?

Piping for Compressed Air - PVC?

I'm thinking about running some air lines for my compressor. I've seen people use pvc pipe for this. Anyone here doing this? It would sure make for a cheap and simple installation. I already know that water freezing inside could be a problem. Plus I know first hand how brittle pvc gets in the winter. Just wanted to hear any comments, pro or con.

Re: Piping for Compressed Air - PVC?

Yes, I did it with schedule 40 PVC with two drop legs to drain any condensation out of it, and I've talked on the Internet to a number of other people who have done the same, and I never had a problem with it. HOWEVER, it is not recommended by the experts. In fact, it is generally specifically recommended to not use PVC, I assume because of the possibility of shattering and blowing pieces that could do some damage. Black pipe I believe is the recommended material, so I, too, will recommend you use that.

In other words, do as I say, not as I do. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Since I posted I looked this up on internet and came up with a bunch of warnings against. (I hadn't thought about it bursting.) Black pipe being most recommended but I'm actually thinking copper. I'll price both. But pvc is so easy...

Copper is real nice. It doesn't rust so your system stays cleaner. It will also be cheaper than black pipe unless you have cutting and threading equipment.

Copper has another appeal to me as it would give me some practice soldering joints, in the open, before I tackle some small projects I have in the house walls and attic.

I used copper, and its very cheap. Not as easy as PVC joints, but almost. Just remember to do a leak-down pressure test on your joints. This is a must if you are going to cover any sections behind a wall. Even if you are going to leave them in the open, better to find any slow leaks and fix them first. I had a slow leak, and the compressor is in the garage, right under my bedroom. Scared the CR*P outa me when it kicked in at 2am [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Turned out to be the fitting on a hose that was "plugged in" to the quick release, so the pipes were OK.

I used copper for mine. There are different schedules of copper. L and M are the two that come to mind first and I sure don't remember what I used 14years ago. I will look and see. Anyway be sure to use a copper rated for the PSI you expect.

Gary

I'm going to be the odd one here (nothing new in that). I'm using black pipe for mine for one simple reason. I can get 21' sections of 1" & 1/2" black pipe free. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As I've often said with many things, "If it's free, it's for me!" [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The same guy who is giving me the pipe has a threader I can use, too.

I'm planning on making my long, main runs overhead with 1" and then "T" off of that with 1/2" drops into which I can connect my hoses and tools, etc., all around the barn.

Hey, if you can get the ideal stuff, and free, too, it would foolish to go any other way. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Gary, you simply must be livin' right. People pester you to take free pipe and then thread it for you as well. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'm sure that you know that those 1" mains are going to act as additional reservoir to augment the tank capacity so you WIN AGAIN! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Does anyone ever plumb in a LOOP, like the water company in your city does? Yep, that enables air to come to you from both directions and the friction losses are reduced. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave