Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw?

Re: What 12\" Sliding Compound Miter Saw?

Amazon.com has good tool reviews by actual users, although they can be somewhat biased since everyone likes to think their purchase was the best.
    I was all set to buy a Dewalt until I read a review about the table flexing when you lock-down the table. I went to the store and checked it out myself, and decided the flex was unacceptable to me. I ended up getting the 10" sliding Makita.
    Many of the saws only have bevel capability to one side, while this is workable, I prefer the flexibility of both directions.
    Makita has been rated at the top for the last several years and would be a good pick. The new Hitachi with built in laser line has been getting great reviews as well.
    Amazon.com has about the best prices I've seen - plus free shipping on many items.

rlw
    <font color="blue"> ""..about the table flexing when you lock-down the table"" </font color>

What are you referring to when you talk about locking a table down on a 12" sliding compound miter saw? I must be missing something, which isn't impossible. The 'table' on my sliding compound miter is one solid aluminum alloy cast piece.

What I mean by locking the table down is, tightening/locking the mechanism for the angle adjustment. The portion of the saw bed with the lock-down actually flexed when I engaged the lock. This was fairly predominant on the non-sliding 12" saw I looked at, I cannot recall the amount on the sliding one.

What 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw?

That's sounds like something I would say to my wife when I get busted [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Patrick

I got the dewalt. After just a small adjustment it works great. Thanks for all the advice. I also picked up a stand with extending arms.

Steve

EJB -- Are you still happy with that LS1013? I've heard contractors complaining that the spring that retracts the business end tends to sag after a while. But is that just a problem for professionals who use the saw hard and daily? Have also heard that the DeWalt 708 burns out after a year. I have the DW705 (non-slider) and after two years it's getting pretty tired. I'm looking for sliders, and am leaning toward either the Hitachi or Porter Cable 10" saws.

Boondox, Do you have anything to report regarding a sliding compound miter saw? I am interested in getting one but recent experience with DeWalt geared down chopsaw sort of scares me regarding DeWalt. Under the plastic brush cover it says in BIG letters, "MADE IN CHINA." and I have talked with 3 different folks (one runs an electric motor repair shop) all of whom say the DeWalt chopsaw motor won't last long enough to even begin to wear the gearbox out and that it is the armature that usually fails. Unfortunately the armature costs within $20 of what a new saw costs so that essentially makes it a throw away.

I hope to buy a compound 12 inch miter saw that will last a good long time. I have a Milwaukee corded 3/8 variable speed reversable drill (hole shooter) that I have used and abused for about 25 years. It has a twist off power cord that I replaced once recently and has had no other repairs. It has so much power it is dangerous with hole saws, you can get your arm twisted pretty good if the bit jams. I also have a 25 yr old Milwaukee 2 speed SAWZALL that still works fine. I abuse the heck out of it and some day may need to replace the swivel thingy through which the blade sticks.

Anyway, I know everyone thinks THEIR tool is the best and usually reports on it while it is still pretty new and then get quiet when it dies later.

So how about it? Besides the 12 inch Chinese DeWalt what are the recommended 12 inch sliding compound miter saws. I was sure tempted to buy that good looking DeWalt till the recent "education" regarding DeWalt and now I'm just not sure.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat -- Sadly, I'm learning that the professionals' opinion of DeWalt is deserved, at least in my case. My DW705 miter saw is really giving up the ghost!

After reading many reviews and chatting with tool repair types, I'd go with the Bosch if I were replacing my DW with another 12 incher. But there are a lot of great 10 inch sliders out there. That's probably the way I'll go FWIW.
    Pete

I found dewalt is a mixed bag. The battery powered hand tools work well for me even with very hard use. I also find the miter saw is a good product.
    But my metal chop saw has not been right since the day I bought it. The motor start current is way to high. They claimed they knew about it and sent me a new set of brushes that had not effect. So I just run it off a larger breaker and when it flames I will replace the motor. But I also will think carefully about another dewalt purchase. The saw works fine now but I am not optimistic that it will be used by my grandson to say the least.

Fred

I am still completely happy with my saw...I am not a proffessional, but I do use it alot (many times per week at least for the past year), and have had no complaints...

I also have not used the Dewalt so I can't really compare. I suspect most people would be perfectly happy with either one.