Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light bulbs burn out a lot

Light bulbs burn out a lot

Ever since we moved into our house about 5 years ago, it seems like light bulbs burn out too fast in some of our lights. It's not bulbs in lamps that burn out fast, it's bulbs in some light sockets in the ceiling. I haven't done a careful check yet, but it seems like they only last about 30 days. Any ideas why bulbs would burn out faster in some light sockets but not in all of them?

Re: Light bulbs burn out a lot

Lots of possibilities Danny... Are the ceiling fixtures below the kids rooms? Do they jump around a lot?

Are those fixtures being turned on and off more than the lamps, perhaps because of the convenience of the switch?

Are the fixtures less open than a lamp, allowing the bulbs to retain more heat?

Just a few ideas to get you started [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

You might try hitting Depot and looking for bulbs rated for "Ceiling Fans". I was surprised when I found them, but they are supposed to stand up to vibration better. (Whether they actually are any different or are just regular bulbs in a different package remains to be seen.)

Steve

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Are the fixtures less open than a lamp, allowing the bulbs to retain more heat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this explain why the bulb under my vent hood in the kitchen burns out so regularly? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Seems like I replace it once a month.
    Chris

Well if you figure it out, please let me know too. Since moving in this place (maybe 4 years ago), there are many lights that are used everyday that I have never had to replace and others that only last about a month, or even less, just like you said. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern either [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

What brand of light bulbs are they? I got some of the new reveal? "purple" light bulbs awhile back and the light was great but I had to replace them all inside of two months. We have a ceiling fan that ate bulbs until I put some "rough service" droplight bulbs in it as an experiment. Light isn't as great but at least there is light.
    Also, check how much the fixtures wiggle. Could be some are not mounted very well and are shaking when folks walk around and so on.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, EJB; don't think anyone has an answer for this one. When we bought our place in the country, the shop building had more than 30 light bulbs of a variety of styles, brands, and ages; some even appeared to be odd shaped antiques. Eight years later most of them were still working, while others had been changed out many times for reasons unknown. And when we bought a new double wide mobile home, it had 6 ceiling fans with 3 bulbs each. I lost count of the times I changed the bulbs in one of them (no visible vibration), but in 5 years never changed a bulb in any of the others.

Danny,
    This is a question that I get asked everyday it seems. There is no definate answer, it could be a number of things. If you notice no flickering or bad dimming of the bulbs, we could say the wiring is ok.
    A few things to try though. Buy only bulbs with a brass base, they tend to last longer than the "aluminum" base bulbs do. Buy bulbs rated at 130 volts vs 120 volts. The filament is a tad stronger, but the lumen output will be less. Get the "rough service" bulbs mentioned above. They sell them for trouble lights and ceiling fans. I have noticed that if the package of the bulb says it's for ceiling fans they are a bit more expensive. You could try the flourescent replacement bulbs if you want to deal with the delay and flicker when they come on. Saves you energy too.
    Take a look at the fixtures that the bulbs are in. Are you using the correct wattage bulbs? Too much heat from to big a bulb will shorten their life.
    Some bulbs are designed to be installed in a certain position... i.e. "base down" "base horizontal" "base up". Your average 60 watt bulb is designed to burn in any position, but will last longer in a "base down" orientation.
    I get my 130 volt bulbs from a store that sells "odd lots and closeouts". Usually known for selling imported junk. Most of their bulbs are half the price of others and have the brass base and rated 130 volts. I think they are made overseas.

Jerry

I heard that in one of the Tom Edison museums there is a light he made that is still burning to this day.

don't know if it's the same lamp ... but on HGTV's "How's that work?" program some weeks ago they were doing light bulbs (more properly called lamps) and shwoed one that's been burning in a California firehouse for 101 years. Of course, it doesn't have a tungston filament and desn't throw mcuh in the way of lumens.

I'll have to "side" with the majority and say that vibration seesm to be the biggest lamp killer. The locations, in the plants that I've worked in, that had the highest incidence ot lamp replacements (ad-hoc rather than planned) were in high vibration areas. Same with my experience at home ... the worst offenders in my present home are the suspension lamps ...

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't