Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post 'n Beam vs. Pole

Post \'n Beam vs. Pole

I will need to put up some 3 sided sheds. I was thinking pole construction with PT poles in the ground but my builder tells me to anchor the posts on concrete poured in the ground. That makes the pole construction into post and beam, correct?

Where could I get some plans for P 'n B sheds, with design and telling me what lumber sizes to use?

Re: Post \'n Beam vs. Pole

Do you mean something like this? If so, use your favorite search engine and enter the words "loafing shed."
    Chris

I recommend, in the strongest possible terms, AGAINST using concrete for pole buildings. In frost country, the concrete just gives the frost something to heave out of the ground.

I built a pole barn using 4x6 pressure treated for the poles. I dug below frost (4' in my area) poured a 16"x16" cement pad for the post to sit on, plumbed it up and backfilled with screened gravel, tamped at regular intervals. The screened gravel provides good drainage around the post, which helps keep water from collecting, freezing and promoting heaving.

The barn has been through 2 Maine winters, and nothing has so much as wiggled.

See the link. Pole Barn

Nice barn Paul.

Stone dust also works well for backfilling posts. When well tamped it sets up almost like concrete but drains and will give when it has to in the frost. Basically the same idea as what you do.

I don't even know how many of these shelters I've built. I've never seen one that we've built fall down. We have never used concrete on any of them. Just dig down 3 or 4 feet and tamp your post in good. Frame it up and put steel on it and you're done. Don't make it complicated for sure.

I lost a good yearling that kicked into metal siding on a "run in shed". servered arterey. No more metal siding and horses. 3/4 treated plywood. bcs

I wouldn't let my horses come in direct contact with any metal siding either. I'm putting up a run in shed (or two) this year and plan to locate them on the fence line. I'll line the inside w/ TG 2x6's and they won't be able to get to the outside. I would in general not allow my animals access to any kind of siding. To much risk of damage in both directions.

Never had a problem with it. Like Steve said just line up the walls 4' with 2x4's or 2x6's and you won't have a problem. I would never leave a horse alone in a barn with tin that didn't have the walls lined.

{Frame it up and put steel on it and you're done.} I guess I missed the part in this post about lining it with 2x6's. bcs

I guess my builder says the post will rot in the ground even if pressure treated.

BTW, how do you dig the post holes? If I use auger on my tractor it will be about 2 1/2' deep and 9" dia. Is that enough depth and width?