Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New garden soon?????

New garden soon?????

Well, its March 2nd, and starting to think about the garden. Right now, the house is still not done, and the yard is covered with a few feet of snow, but its coming. Picked up some seed packs, and am starting thinking about how I want to set it up. Come on spring! I am SO sick of this winter!
    Paul Bradway

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Re: New garden soon?????

Hi Paul,

We are planning on starting seeds for my garden today. We plant early tomatoes, and other early stuff inside. We use grow lights, and electric fan. For some reason plants grow better with air moving. My wife is great with seed starting. I look at it, like let her have her fun, and I get to use the plants. I also pretty sick of winter myself. I'm ready for spring. Good Luck with the garden.

Kent

My wife is also an avad seed grower. Till now just flowers. Only problem is we are living with my Mom till the house is done. No real room to grow. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So looks like we wait a bit. Once it starts warming up a bit, may start a few in a spair room. To cold now. I am not expecting a lot from the garden this year. First one, and I did not have a chance to do any soil work last year like I had planed. Oh well, got to start somewere.
    Paul Bradway

>>For some reason plants grow better with air moving

I think it has to do with making them stronger..than fan simulates the wind they would have outside, forces the stems to grow stronger and the roots a little better, kind of like resistance training for your muscles.

What kind of grow light are you using?

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

We use regular flouresent bulbs. We start 100 tomato plants last year, and they all found home. We give away whatever we don't plant. Also started cabbage. broccoli, and peppers. I think you are right about the fan. When we started using it the stalks got stronger. Also location of the light is important. How far away it from the top of the plant. We just enjoy starting from seed to finished veggie.

Kent

I'm taking a Master Gardener course, and we just did a segment on starting seeds.

The main benefit of the fan is that it prevents something called "damping off". Basically, if the top of the starter medium is below the top of the pot, it forms a "pool" were moisture can collect, and promotes the growth of a fungus that attacks the stem of the plant and kills it.

The fan keeps the air moving and prevents the growth of the fungus.

No point in starting anything in Maine until mid-April. Can't even get ON the garden until mid-May, and soil temps don't come up until June 1st. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I usually plant the bulk of my garden Memorial Day weekend.

<font color="blue"> No point in starting anything in Maine until mid-April. Can't even get ON the garden until mid-May, and soil temps don't come up until June 1st. I usually plant the bulk of my garden Memorial Day weekend. </font color>
    We pretty much follow the same planting schedule as you. But if you want to start tomatoes and peppers from seeds, NOW is a good time so they'll be ready by Memorial Day. Don't forget, not only do you need to get them up to a good size, you also need to harden them off. They have a specific life cycle and if you want to get abundant yields in the northern climates you need to start them when it's still snowing.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Don't let this get around, but I'm too lazy to start my own if they're available from a greenhouse. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Tomatos don't do well here, I'm too close to the ocean, and nighttime temps get way down there, all summer long generally. Neighbors manage, but they spend all their time fussing with them to get a dozen tomatos. 10 miles inland, it's a different story, and again, I can buy garden-fresh tomatos at a very reasonable price and not have to fuss with nursing them along in a climate they're not happy with.

Between work, construction, haying and lambing, Spring and Summer are busy enough for me without fussing with seedlings. If I can't direct-sow it, it ain't gonna get done.

Well, we started some seeds last week, and they are sprouting! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The outside temps are going up, and most of the snow is gone, so I am getting ready! Now its time to layout where to put the garden, and start digging. I can&amp;#8217;t wait till summer is here. I am SO tired of snow, and cold!

Anyone have any layout tips? I am planing for a lot of room between rows, so I can get the tractor in to keep the weeds down.
    Paul Bradway

As far as layout, I look at a couple of things. My garden rows run east-west, so I put the tall stuff (like corn or sunflowers) on the north side so they won't shade out the short stuff.

Think about next year when planting this year, in terms of rotation. I rotate the areas where I plan to plant beans/legumes one year and potatoes the next.

Leave plenty of room for vine crops like cukes.

If your garden varies in soil texture and drainage like mine does, use that to your advantage by planting water-loving crops in the damper areas.

"Plenty of room" between rows is a double-edged sword. Yes, it's easier to get in and weed, but closely spaced rows on some crops (like potatoes or corn) will "shade out" the area between the rows which naturally inhibits weed growth. I space my rows based more on the growth habit of the plant than anything else.

Of course, I keep a fairly small garden and do most of my weeding by hand too... [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]