Thread: Taking Back My Field!!!

Taking Back My Field!!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    How is everyone, I hope good. We'll here is my problem, my field (only about 1.5 acres) [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] has some pretty mean cactus in it. These little things are ugly they stick into everything they touch dogs, horses, tires, legs everything. Well I was wanting to try to kill them this spring. I was tinking of disking my field and dragging it with a drag harrow. I was also planning on planting some grass to reclaim it from the weeds. I do not believe the field has ever been turned over, maybe just had cattle on it long ago. I am planning on talking to our extension agent for suggested grass species.
    Anyway my question is what implements do ya'll think would work the best? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Thanks Jray
    Just Wishing

Re: Taking Back My Field!!!

Jray,

Wow, I don't know if theres an "easy" solution to the cactus removal. If you plow/till them in, it would seem that you'll have the same problem only the cati will not be visible and your critters will still step or roll on them. How big are they, anyway (the cacti, not the critters)?

Would it be possible to (since the acreage is small) use a bucket and knock them over or dig them out, pile them and burn them? It would seem that you would eliminate the residual needles that plowing would leave.

Just my quick thoughts as the only cactus around here is in the botanical garden!!

Good luck!

b249