Thread: What for driveway dressing

What for driveway dressing

I have a flat area of about 60'x70' in front of my new shop. Two years ago it was forest. It was muddy so my friend put a couple of loads shale rock on it. I can drive over it now but it is very rough, the shale rock is big and has a fairly sharp edges. What should I put on top? Gravel? What type, size?

Re: What for driveway dressing

Crushed limestone. Locally it's called Afton stone. You can get what is called a road mix which is crushed limestone with clay mixed in for binder material. Packs hard a concrete when dry and regradeable when wet.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've put in a lot of what you call road mix, here known as road base. It works great and as you said, it's easy to maintain when it ahs a little moisture in it.
    Eric

Yup, roadbase for sure. I dress my driveway with a couple of trucks every couple of years, and after it gets rained on and driven on becomes almost like concrete. Great road surface - can get a bit dusty when it is dry but the price cannot be beat.

Anything else will require basically the same sort of base in order to lay the road surface on it anyway, so if you do decide to put down asphalt, concrete, pavers, etc. you'd have to have a good, deep roadbase first (usually 9" - 12", although I've seen people get by with less here where it doesn't freeze).

We pave the main road into our community with asphalt, and it is a constant money pit. It wasn't done right in the first place (not enough base, too thin of an asphalt layer) and fixing it is taking years. I almost wish it were also just gravel...Chris