Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hay Prices

Hay Prices

Just wondering what people are paying for hay. Here in Michigans Thumb area it's about 1-2$ per but this year was a good one for hay. I don't know what round bales are going for I think about 20$

mikell

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Hay Prices

Here in upstate New York, small sqaure bales are going for $2 per bale, and round bales are going for $20 per bale, and up. The hay I'm taking about is grass hay, not alfalfa.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

You can't even pay for baling hay at $1/bale. If I could buy hay that cheap I'd sell all my equipment and hay ground. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Most hay around here goes for $2-3.50 per bale. Good alfalfa round bales will go for $45-60 a bale depending on the size. Grass hay is around $2/bale and $35-45 for round bales.

How many square bales would it take to equal a round bale?

It all depends on the sizes. My average round bale is about 2000 lbs. My average square bale is 60 lbs. In my case there would be about 33 square bales in a round bale. With other people it may be 50 square bales as alot of guys only bale square bales around 35-40 lbs. Or about the same if their round bales weigh less.

Your best way to buy hay is by the ton. At least then you know what you are getting. Out west that's all we sell hay by is the ton. In the midwest I've noticed very few people sell by the ton. They all sell by the bale. Makes it hard when one guy sells hay for $3/bale for a 60 lb. bale and another guy sells a 30 lb. bale for $2. You get the better deal with the $3 hay but most people don't make that connection.

NW Ohio $150 per ton and you can't get any. I'm feeding alfala pellets to the sheep at $220 per ton. I'm going to try haymaking this year.

We have access to half a barn full of hay that some friends have. They sold their horses and butchered the cow. The hay is 2 years old, but works good for bedding. We've been giving them $1.00 a bale, which is $1.00 more than they asked. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] The stuff we have to buy is running between $2.00 and $3.00 a bale, depending on how many bales, time of year and who we're buying from.

Steve

The guy I use here in the county is charging me $1.95 a bale ... it's bounced from $1.25 to $2.50 depending on the quality and demand. Since I'm a steady customer, he always treats me well .... told me last load that he's getting up to $3.50 at the auction if hge wants to haul it there.
    I had to look long and hard for hay without alfalfa in it (as we were told it's not good for the little guys).

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

We haven't bought any hay since late last summer, however at that time we paid $1.50 for a 50 pound bale. This was the price right out of the field, into the hay wagon, pulled to our place (about 2 miles from the field) and the farmer tossed the bales into our hay loft while I stacked. Not a bad deal. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I agree with doc that buying by the ton is the best way to go, and we've done that. However, such farms are about 25 miles away. Most of the nearby places are small to mid-sized farms that do not have scales for weighing vehicles/hay.

Pete,

Are you looking for no alfalfa? Or just not much?

Steve