Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hay Prices

Re: Hay Prices

Not to speak for you wingnut but he's probably looking for no alfalfa. Those dang minis will colic at the sound of the word colic!!! The grass hay helps to keep them more regular and less chance of impaction. Most horses, mini's included, will eat alfalfa like a hungry kid downing a hot dog in eight seconds. With grass hay they slow down and eat more natural, slower and spaced out. This keeps their system more regular and prevents impaction from eating too quickly. The other problem is that alfalfa is very rich in protein and carbohydrates. The mini's tend to be more stressed than other horses and this will also cause them to colic.

Well put, Richard!

Yep, Steve ... no alfalfa at all. I've heard from other sources (after my initial investigations) that a little is ok .. but why take chances. I've had 2 cases of colic to deal with so far ... and, with the amount of stress is causes US, I think I'll limit my colic exposure.
    Based on Richard's feedback and my other investigations, I've restructured my feeding areas to feed off the ground (except their daily oats rations) and make sure that I limit the amount of feed and hay to the optimal level for health and colic avoidance. Watching those poor little guys rolling around trying to relive the pain makes you decide that "treats" are NOT. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    I've also made sure that we have "warmed" water everywhere to ensure they get enough to drink to keep them regular.
    So ... back to hay ... best grass hay I can find with no alfalfa .... and my source does sell me excellent stuff. Unfortunately, I can't buy it by the ton ... these little guys don't eat THAT much ... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

No kidding!!! We've got a couple of broodmares that will pick through their hay rations to pick out every bit of alfalfa in the mix (about 40%), and then go back and start on the grass.

Aorund here it's almost impossible to get hay without alfalfa. It's just to profitable. This area is well suited to growing exceptional alfalfa which can bring the farmers a good price.
    Eric

Hay prices in my area this year are low. Not good for the producers. Lucky to sell for $20/1000 lb bale.
    We got everyones elses rain so lots of product.

For those of you looking to buy non alfalfa hay... to bad the trucking cost would be so high because in my area we have all the alfalfa free grass you could ever want. As long as you don't mind fescue.

Fred

We buy a nice grass/alfalfa mix from a neighbor for ~$100/ton, delivered w/ a bale wagon. Small square bales, ~90-100 lbs each. They are buggers to restack.
    Eric

New to the group and thinking of planting alfalfa on our 20 acres in Cedar City Utah. Just bought the place but it has a alfafa field right next to it. We currently live in Monterey California and the hay prices are $11 a bale but the bales are the 3 string kind and weigh over 100 lbs. Would love any advice on how to make a old sheep pasture into a alfalfa field. currently it is covered with sage brush and willow bushes. I figured to turn loose my 20 milk goats onto it to take care of the brush, but where do I go from there? we currently have 4 acres feet of water but will probably need to buy more. This is underground water so will be watering with a sprinkler system. Just a newbie at this. Any advice

We are currently buying second cut sweet clover/alfalfa mix for $1.70 a bale for small square bales. For that price, we have to go into the field to pick them up.

Steve

We have 8 horses 1 cow, 6 of the horses are mustangs and I live near cadillac Mi. We are trying to fing some good round bales for sale that are reasonably priced. any help?

Noticing the dates on earlier posts. Do a couple of years make that much difference???

Just moved from central Oregon to eastern Colorado. Paid about $3/bale in OR, now looking at $4-$5.50 but could be time of year (mid November).

Anyone with better prices in Colorado?

it's your area. Hay is always high in Colorado! If you get over into NE and have a way to haul four or five tons you can get hay much cheaper. Heck we sell hay for $2/bale!