Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using T-Posts for Fencing

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Using T-Posts for Fencing

The fencing in my paddock and pasture is made up of locust posts with three rails, each made up of 1 by 8's. Many of the locust posts are starting to rot, and I've got to replace whole sections this spring. The original owners of my farm (who now own the next farm) tell me that most of these posts are only five years old. The ground is pretty damp, as a stream goes through one end of the pasture. At one end of the pasture is an old barbed wire fence that I'm replacing made of T-posts and barbed wire. The T-posts are over 20 years old and still in good shape.

Since the T-posts lasted much longer than the locust posts, I was wondering if I could use them as fence posts. I could attach the wood planks to them with U bolts. It seems logical, but since I've never seen a fence constructed this way, I figure that I must be missing something, and it's probably a bad idea.

It just seems like it would be easy to construct and last. So what does everyone think? It can't be that easy, right? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Using T-Posts for Fencing

Why boards? Are you fencing horses?
    I'm using a woven wire fence for my sheep and occasional cattle. There are a number of fencing systems for horses that are easir and maybe cheaper. I think Ramm Fence has an online catalog. They have some wire reinforced vinyl that might work.
    I hope you have power equipment. My sheep pasture just about killed me but maybe you're younger.

Thanks, I should have been more explicit. Yes this is for horses. The reason I don't want to use electric fence exclusively is because if the fence shorts out, one of our horses will walk right through it. She's always testing the electric fences, and if it's not working she'll go through it. So, I thought I'd stay with the three board design, with a hot wire on top to keep them from messing with it, at least when it's on. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Rich

I'd use woven wire horse fence. Then put two strands of smooth wire on the top and electrify it. About every 50ft. put in a wood post for stability. If you ever have to replace one it will be a piece of cake. Get good treated posts. The reason those posts rotted is because they probably weren't treated. That fencing will be even safer than the boards..

Thanks, Richard. But the one question I have is, is the woven wire strong enough to hold the horses when the inevitable shorts occur, and short out the fence? We have it happen from branches falling on the fence, deer running through it, and even the horses dropping hay on it (it's almost like they know they can short it out!).

My Belgian will touch the fence with her nose a few times each day. If she doesn't get a shock, she'll lean on it until it gives. She never takes off, she just seems satisfied that she can break the wire. That's why I was going to use the boards.
    Rich

Wait till you see what she will do to 1 by's when she has a itch.bcs [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Welcome to my world!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm always replacing boards on the fence, due to her various itches. Amazingly, the quarter horses don't cause a problem, but the Belgian sure does. But with three boards, if she wrecks one, I just replace it, and the other two are enough of a barrier to keep everyone inside. I'm just worried if I go to all wire, she'll just walk right through it.

When the electric fence is working, one hot wire on top does keep them off the fence. But when it shorts out, that's when I have problems.
    Rich

Afternoon, Rich!

I had the same problem. We have a 4 rail (1" x 6") fence. That the horses just loved to scratch and push on. I ran a single electric tape at the top, inside of the fence and they don't get near it now.

I used HorseGuard Fencing and love it. I didn't care for the wire or the narrow tape. It can be attached to T-Posts as well as wooden posts. They even offer slip on covers for the T-posts. Visit the site and peruse the alternatives. Serge is very responsive to questions, prompt shipping, etc.

Thanks, Mike!!! I just ordered their free catalogue and samples!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Rich

I've noticed everyone is going to the tape. What is the main benefit? Is it stronger, easier to install?

Steve