The fencing in my paddock and pasture is made up of locust posts with three rails, each made up of 1 by 8's. Many of the locust posts are starting to rot, and I've got to replace whole sections this spring. The original owners of my farm (who now own the next farm) tell me that most of these posts are only five years old. The ground is pretty damp, as a stream goes through one end of the pasture. At one end of the pasture is an old barbed wire fence that I'm replacing made of T-posts and barbed wire. The T-posts are over 20 years old and still in good shape.

Since the T-posts lasted much longer than the locust posts, I was wondering if I could use them as fence posts. I could attach the wood planks to them with U bolts. It seems logical, but since I've never seen a fence constructed this way, I figure that I must be missing something, and it's probably a bad idea.

It just seems like it would be easy to construct and last. So what does everyone think? It can't be that easy, right? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]