Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using T-Posts for Fencing

Re: Using T-Posts for Fencing

Evening, Steve. I've never installed anything but the tape I mentioned in an earlier post, so I can't comment on other the electric fence alternatives. The tape was very easy to install. The only tools I needed were a cordless drill (drill holes for some lag screws and as a screwdriver to mount the plastic doohickies that hold the tape) and scissors to cut the tape. Nothing special to tension the tape, nothing special to splice it.

Mike,

Sounds easier to install. I've noticed more and more shelf space devoted to tape and tape hangers. I figured there has to be a reason. Thanks.

Steve

Rich,

It will hold most anything in. It's special woven wire just for horses. It's 60" tall and is spaced for horses so they don't get their legs in it. It will stop them and you won't be replacing boards. Tape definitely won't stop them. I don't like the tape, no offense Mike, as if you ever have one run into it it will break. Plus after a few years you are replacing it again.

Then just put two strands of smooth wire on top and you will be set for the next 30 years. It will keep your belgian and anything else in. It's the cheapest, most durable, and safest way to go in my opinion. Your other option is high tensile fence but I know how you like to be the safest you can. I've seen horses run into the woven wire fencing and just bounce off none the worse for wear. If you decide to go with it make sure and get the red brand label kind. It's the good stuff. Don't get the cheap stuff. It won't hold up and will even break when you are stretch it.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

That sounds great, Richard!! Just what I'm looking for. One last question, what's the name of the type you use? Do they have a website, and where do you buy it, I've never seen it.

Oops, I guess that was three questions!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Rich,

I"m not sure if they have a website. I'm sure they probably do. The brand is called Red Brand. I see it all the time in alot of the horse magazines.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Richard, thanks!!! I'll get it from the magazines. I get several, but my favorite is Western Horseman, which you reccommended!! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

They got a good website, www.redbrand.com .

I have used the 48" 2x4 mesh non-climb on several projects. It's heavy, stiff, and a bear to work with but makes a lifetime fence. There is an inside/outside to the wire, make sure you put the smooth side of the knot towards the horse. And it's important to stretch it tight as a fiddle string so a pawing horse can't get a purchase on it. About 85 cents a foot at my local farm coop.

I can second that. We had a new Thorobred bood mare that we turned in w/ the rest of the band too early [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] . They ran her right into the 2x4 no-climb@ full speed. She just bounced back. That is good stuff!
    Eric

Mike - can you give me an update on the electric mesh tape? I see you've used it for quite a while. I posted over on the tractor forum about it as well. I'm considering using this as a primary fencing for my expanding pasture borders. Where the line won't move I intend to put in traditional vinyl or wood fencing, but the areas I'm still clearing seem like the perfect application for this fencing.

Thanks,
    Steve Mann
    Salem, CT

Steve,
    We dont use the tape for keeping horses in but I can say that I have seen both the tape and Centaur type fencing used and from what I have seen they both look good new and keep horses in (if not spooked) but start to look old and start to sag over time. With all due respect to Mike its not a solution I would use (Mike, not trying to step on your toes my friend. Just offering my 2 cents.)

It seems like there are 2 camps for horse fencing. One is going with a more traditional look like vinyl or wood and the others are the No Climb. I mean no offense to anyone but I have pretty strong feelings about how best to care for horses that God or others have entrusted to my care. In todays world I think one of the best fences is a tightly strung NoClimb with a hot wire running along the inside. Set it up with good strong bracing at the corners, stretch it tight as mentioned previously and you cant do much better to protect a horse. The only thing I would do differently is run a 1 or 2 rail pipe fence the whole way to reinforce it. There is a really good description of what this fence looks like in the TBN area with photos by WroughtnHarv.

I know some don't like the looks of it but for me its what makes the most sense for the horse.

Mark