Thread: Wrong end Smokeing

Wrong end Smokeing

My Welder just went up in smoke last night. And old Airco 225 Wasp engine driven welder. I've had it for over twenty years. I'm trying to determine how much I should spend on it to fix it. Any thoughts from this forum might be helpful. Of course this happen right in the middle of building a caddigger backhoe. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Wrong end Smokeing

While not specific to your welder, here's the 'formula' I use to decide whether to repair or replace things.

I take it's value is in it's present state and subtract that from it's value when repaired. That figure is what you need to look at when you find your repair cost. Obviously, absent any emotional attachment to the item, if the cost to repair exceeds that number it's time to bid that item a fond farewell.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I hope this helps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Gary I have been spending some time trying to come to that conclusion. Can't get any idea yet about repair costs but everyone says alot. which is more than I want to spend on and old welder with a somewhat tired engine, and small 2500 watt gen. Trying now to decide what exactlly I do need to do what I do. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You don't say what's wrong with it? I assume you looked inside to see if it was only a fried wire. Is engine gone? It can be replaced. It sounds like you have a good welder there and I'd certainly look into fixing it myself, if possible.

I did look inside and put the blown wires back togather but to little to late. the windings start glowing when I start the engine. I'm still going to take in in for a estimate when I get a chance. doesn't look good for the old Welder though. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I think taking it in and getting a real estimate is the way to go. Then you can apply 'the formula.' [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There is another way to look at it, too. Once you have your estimate, take that number and ask yourself, "If I didn't own this old welder right now, would I buy it for this amount?"

Right now, from what you say, you really don't own a working welder so whatever you spend on this is what you're spending to have one of the size and age of yours. Another option, of course, is putting that same money toward a new one.

I get the impression that you'd kind of like a larger welder anyhow, so that might be the way to go. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]