Thread: calling Inspector507

calling Inspector507

This ones for you guy [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] What is 1/2 rigid metal conduit- type RMC? It says in my electrical specs for the pool this is threaded pipe not EMT. Is this pipe like you can use for water lines and pipe clamps? Its not the stuff they use in factories to run electrical lines...right. Thats the EMT if im correct. I only want to burrie power at 6" and this is the type pipe i have to use for code. This is in central NY. Ive got the papers on the codes and understand it for the most part. I do tool and die for a living and always wished i got into residentail electric as a trade job. I enjoy working with electric. Hopes to hear from ya soon or others that got the know how.
    Thanks Larry

Re: calling Inspector507

<font color="blue"> 1/2 rigid metal conduit- type RMC</font color> I typed that line into the search on Yahoo and came up with quite a list of places explaining what it is. The RMC stands for Rigid Metal Conduit.

Look up some of those sites and you may find the answers you are looking for. Any electrical supply house will likely have it if the box stores don't.

Good luck. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Larry,
    RMC is in fact Rigid Metal Conduit. It is a heavywall galvanized pipe. Looks like water pipe as well. The NEC® specifies a burial depth of 6" minimum.
    Most box stores will have it in the electric aisle. It's a bear to bend if you don't have a bender.

Jerry

Thanks Inspector,
    Correct me if im wrong, but i dont think it can be bent to turn corners for pool wireing. It must be threaded together. Can you switch back to regular conduit once your out of the ground to go up the side of the house and in the basement wall. or do you have to stick with that untill your inside the house? I wired my last pool but was able to dig 18" to use plastic conduit. This ground here is just to rocky and hard and there is not room to get my tractor in where i need to go.
    Again thanks Inspector507
    Larry

You can bend RMC, actually ½" is not all that hard. Usually a ¾" EMT bender will work. You could switch to EMT if you want, just not PVC. The RMC will not be "bonded".
    Let me know if I can help anymore.

Jerry

Ok, i will bend it then. Thanks for your help Jerry [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have the 3/4" EMT bender. Youve been a great help to me. I thank you!
    Larry