Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage of a 1/2 ton pickup vs a 3/4 ton

Hybrid View

Gas mileage of a 1/2 ton pickup vs a 3/4 ton

Once again, I'm still pondering what to get to replace my old pickup...

I have a question for some of you full size pickup owners. My question is, "What is the difference in gas mileage between a 1/2 ton pickup and a 3/4 ton pickup if they have the same engine? I'm guessing there isn't much difference, but a 3/4 ton weighs more.

Re: Gas mileage of a 1/2 ton pickup vs a 3/4 ton

Yeah Danny, mostly the added weight. Also got to watch the axle ratios, the 3/4 ton may be lower (numerically higher) which will significantly impact mileage. Tires too, I'm running load range E on my 3/4 ton which probably aren't designed for mileage like a pass car tire is.

I must say, I'm impressed with all the research you're doing on this impending vehicle purchase. You'll have to let us all know what you end up with and more importantly, why [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Hey Mosey I don't know if desiel is an option for you but I get the same if not better mileage in my 1 ton ford than my friend gets in his half ton Toyota Tundra. My truck is 4x4 and his is 2x4. My truck is a ford 20002 PSD and I half talked to guys who have the cummins and the duramax and they get better mileage than I do. I have a 3.73 rearend and can get 15-16 in the city and about 18-20 on the highway running 75 mph. Hope this helps Jray. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Just Wishing

Danny,

You are going to find that on average about 400 lbs. will equal 1/2 mile less per gallon. With a 3/4 ton truck you will probably lose a couple miles/gallon on avg. compared to a 1/2 ton.

Don't forget about the transmission especially if automatic. The HD tranny will account for a couple of mpg.

Mosey,

My 1995 Chevy 2500 4x4 Extended Cab, Long bed 6.5L Turbo
    Diesel with a 4.10 rear axle got about 15-16mpg in the city.
    Maybe 19 on the highway if I kept it at or near 55pmh. It
    had a 5 speed manual tranny. If I remember correctly it
    was around 6,500 pounds on the quarry scales. My normal
    route might see it get a bit over 17mpg with a mix of city
    and rural driving.

My 2002 Ford 350 SRW 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed Turbo Diesel
    with a 3.73 rear axle gets 17.3 on its worse city circuit. I
    I do my "normal" routes with a mix of city and rural driving
    I'll be a little over 19 mpg. A trip over Thanksgiving returned
    19+mpg highway driving when keeping between 65-70mph.
    This truck has a six speed manual and the quarry scale says
    7,700 pounds.

The Ford is much heavier, has a much bigger engine, and the
    truck can do more work but I get better mpg than the Chevy.

I'm not sure how that helps you but there is the info! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think there is more to the milage game the wieght. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Later,
    Dan

I had an 87 150 and it got a stinkin 10 mpg with a 5.0 V-8. My 1999 250SD with a 5.3 V-8 averages 16 over the 53,000 miles I put on it. Some of the 150's aren't getting this milage. When I asked this question I was told that the heavy duty auto tranys lock up on every gear unlike the lite duty units. So I get better milage. All my fords had the 3.73 rears in them. I had a suburban with the 350 and 3.55 rear that also got 15. The Sub was an 86 without fuel injection. I am not sure if the Chevy trannys on the models you are looking at lock at each gear or only in OD. It is worth looking into. I am sure there is a Chevy site similar to the f150online.com site.

Steve

Are you talking new? You can't get the same engine in 1/2 vs 3/4 ton GM trucks, so kinda apples versus oranges, UNLESS you are considering the 1500HD. Then the Vortec 6000 (6.0 liter) is available. Like others have mentioned, consider the rear end gears too. Tranny will affect it somewhat too. My '01 GMC 1500 gets terrible mileage. I have yet to get better than 16, even on the highway! Shoulda opted for the 2500 Duramax 6 speed ...

"Are you talking new?"

No, I mean used with the same size engine.

I don't know if the 1/2 vs 3/4 makes as much of a difference as the engine/axle/make. Diesel would be better but as a $4500 option on a new truck you have to drive a lot of miles to save that knd of money. (I have a 99 dodge ram 2500 with 5.9 liter gas and tow package - 9mpg around town - sucks. Can get 14-15 on highway for long trip)