Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worm Farming

Re: Worm Farming

Was there any worms ever in the soil. Are you sure you just didnt buy worm castings...(compost) There should have been worms you could see. They are about 2" long when you get them.....?
    Larry

I don't really know the answer. I may have just bought castings, in which case I'm sure they're dead now (unless throwing them in the compost heap may have saved them). I'm just chalking this one up to another hare-brained idea that didn't work out [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]...

I might recommend you purchase one of the "work kits" and see how it works for you before you go all out on trying to worm farm.

To begin with, fishermen really like night crawlers. They are big and fat and juicy and easy to get on a hook. These are completely separate species from the worms used in worm farms. Those worms are small and skiney and do a great job of eating scrap material and producing worm casings.

Next, worms are not particularly hard to please, but get anything wrong, and they WILL go find somewhere else to live. You need to control the temperature, humidity, acidty of their home. You will need to feed them enough, but not too much. Let it get too hot and they die. Let it get too cold and they die. Let it get too wet and they crawl off. Let it get too dry and they crawl off. Your worm bed should be wet enough to form a shape when you squeeze it but not wet enough to gush out water.

I bought a "can-o-worms" from the place google will send you. They have a very active forum. They also sell worms and literature on how to get into commercial worm farming. They are very upfront on how difficult a market it is and how many crooks are out there who will "sign you up on a contract growing program" where you buy the equipment from them and they buy the worms back. Many of them are relying on the very high failure rate of worm farms and never expect to ever buy a worm.

Anyway, I don't want to dampen your spirits, but the only money in worm farming seems to be in selling seed worms to others. At least that is what I have seen.

Consider spending the hundred bucks or so on a worm kit and see the process for yourself. Best you learn how the little beasties live, see what they look like when they are happy and when they are not. Get a feel for the beeasties before you invest a lot of time and effort in worm farming.