Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I a Wimp?

Am I a Wimp?

I have been through natural childbirth three times. Twice at home, and once in the hospital. No drugs, just a whole bunch of teeth gritting and strong language. I have seen plenty of blood in my lifetime, and survived my son having reconstructive surgery at four years old, and being responsible for cleaning and caring for the surgery site.

I myself have suffered some fairly grievous wounds, not the least of which was falling on a split branch and having a goodly portion of it jammed under the skin of my right forearm, or there was the time that I was slammed in the face with a tether ball pole and had my nose smashed flat as a pancake. I bled for two days and ended up looking alarmingly like a raccoon for six weeks.

I smashed my right index finger in the sliding door of the van, and if that wasn't bad enough, the van was locked and my husband was inside Sam's with the keys in his pocket. I had to fish my cell phone out of my 'right' back pocket with my left hand, call him on his cell phone so that he could come unlock the door and let me out. The finger tip was flat for days.

I have seen a corpse, up close and personal, and have heard the death rattle. I held a beloved pet in my arms as it drew it's last breath after being mangled by a car, and have dealt with broken bones, cuts, road rash and assorted other scrapes and boo boo's.

Why is it then that when my oldest girl cut the palm of her hand with a knife the other night I took one look at the wound and almost fainted?

How can that be right? I have gone over and over this in my mind trying to make sense of it. I was asleep, and she came into my room very calmly and said, mom, I cut myself.

"Is it bad?" I asked, tossing back the covers.

"Not really, it's just a little hole, but it's bleeding a lot."

This child doesn't dramatize. If she said it was bleeding a lot then it probably was, so I steeled myself and followed her back to the kitchen. She removed the washcloth that she had been holding over the wound. I took one look and the room started spinning. I could feel the blood pounding in my head and when I spoke to her I sounded in my own ears, like I was miles away. My scalp was tingling and I was sick to my stomach.

"Honey, not to scare you, but I think I'm gonna pass out." That's all I could say while I concentrated on breathing and not ending up on the floor.

As any good daughter will do, she decided she should pass out too, so there we were leaning against each other at the sink watching her life force dripping down the drain, moaning, both of us basically useless.

With all the strength I could muster I called to my husband so that he could come and help. Once he saw the cut he just kind of looked at me with this blank expression. I knew what he was thinking. The same thing I was. This was stupid. I was stronger than this. I am really afraid of what the future holds. Is this a new trend? Am I now a wimp? What happens if there's a real emergency and I faint?

It is possible, I guess, that it was because I was abruptly awakened to the sight of blood and didn't have a chance to prepare. Or perhaps when one grows older they become more sensitive to this type of thing, but, what happens if one of the kids or my husband gets seriously hurt and I have to apply pressure to a wound to keep them alive and I faint? This reaction to the sight of blood does not bode well for farm life. I know it’s only a matter of time before I will, unfortunately, be tested again.

Re: Am I a Wimp?

Morning Cindi,

You may be reading a bit too much into it. My take on it is you were unexpectedly awakened from sleep and called to action before you had a chance to really get your feet under you. Chances are if it were an even more dire situation, you would have risen to the challenge, but because it was not too bad, you kind of waffled in between conciousness and sleep state...and your subconscious perhaps knew hub would lend a hand. I wouldn't think this one light-headed experience is a reason to doubt your ability to be there when it counts.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Cindi, I agree with Wasabi. I've read enough of your posts on TBN to know that you know how to handle yourself in an emergency. You were half asleep and unprepared, and it wasn't enough of an emergency to create that adrenaline rush that brings you to your senses. If it was something more severe, I'm sure you would have jumped to her aid!!

From reading your other posts, I gotta say that you're the type of person that I'd like to have around in case of an emergency. Don't worry about it, you're still the Super Farm Lady!!!

Able to leap barbed wire fences with a single bound!!! Faster than a speeding goat!!! And you haven't met your Kryptonite!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Wasabi, thank you for your comforting words of wisdom. I bought it hook line and sinker. It makes sense, everything you say.

Rich, you're a trip! Faster than a speeding goat eh? Well, yesterday one of those babies was trying to dash away so I couldn't give her her goat drench and I reached and twisted at the same time and something in my butt broke. Swear to God. Must have wrenched, tore, strained a muscle or something. Whoa, whoa, wait. Maybe there was kryptonite in the area? Lol! Can't bend over. Anything under four feet tall will have it's way for a few weeks.

What happened? I passed out about halfway down the post.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Rich....we need smelling salts for our texas friend....quickly, please! Between the two of them (Alan and Cindi), they're wearing me out worryin bout em... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Faster than a speeding goat </font color>

.....perhaps slower than a limping wimp is more apt then, neh? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Wasabi, I think all that heat in Florida and Texas is making them woozy!! They both need to come up here to upstate New York and enjoy some of our sub-zero temperatures for a while. It'll make them feel better!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Yes, for a few days anyway. Lol!

I could solve a lot of my problems if I would take the time to do things right. I'm always taking short cuts, doing things half....well you know. For example, common sense dictates that you don't use something that breathes and moves to lean on, but since I am the type person who thinks I know better, I tried it anyway.

I had dropped a feed scoop inside one of the pig pens and it was just a fraction of an inch out of reach. I was nearing the end of the feeding ritual and wanted to go in for coffee and breakfast, so I quickly ran through my options.

I had two, as I saw it. I could get the scoop the normal, proper way, by climbing over into the pen and picking it up. Which would have taken all of about ten seconds. Or I could do it my way, which I had yet to determine what that was, but knew deep in my heart would probably be a mistake.

As I stood there debating, one of our pigs, Hannah, sauntered over to have her ears scratched. I love Hannah. Hannah loves me. I spend a lot of time scratching her ears, and her belly, and I now saw an opportunity for her to repay the favor.

If I leaned into the pen, and rested my hand on her back, I could retrieve the scoop, and be back on my feet before she knew what happened.

Course of action now determined, I leaned over the fence, a thirty two inch pig panel, stretching as far as I could go, and rested my free hand on Hannah's back. I expected her to move, I was prepared for it. What I didn't expect was for her to accept this plan with no problem for two seconds, and then be completely terrified the next second.

So the moment I relaxed and trusted her, she shot out from under me, squealing her head off and ran halfway across the pen and glared at me. I, of course, ended up head first in the pen, landing on my elbows, feet sticking up in the air.

I grabbed the scoop, worked my way to an upright position and immediately looked around to see who saw. As far as I know, my momentary lapse in judgment was just between me and Hannah until now.

I didn't learn anything from this incident. Being basically lazy, I will always try the easy way, or what seems to be the easy way at the moment, first. I am doomed to spend my days with dirty elbows and embarrassed expressions on my face. The up side is that my animals get more than feed and housing. The can always count on a little entertainment to help pass the time. One day I will make the BIG mistake and will maybe learn to bend at the knees not at the waist, watch for the electric fence, etc. I spend lots of sleepless nights wondering what the BIG one will be. [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]