Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I a Wimp?

Re: Am I a Wimp?

I fainted my first day in medical school - it was mid August, 256 students in the lecture hall, hot-hot-hot, and I missed lunch since I didn't know where to go. In the afternoon they started showing a movie on how they prepare cadavers for the anatomy lab. Luckily I felt it coming and slid down in the chair first so I didn't make a fuss. Boom-Boom, out went the lights! Needless to say I was quite concerned about my career path, but over the last 24 years it has worked out OK.

These same environmental/physiological factors were conspiring against you. You were warm, probably hadn't eaten for a while (borderline low blood glucose), low blood pressure from sleeping - and suddenly you're standing. Toss in a little noxious stimuli to get your Vagus Nerve firing (it lowers heart rate and blood pressure) and the next thing you know your brain is shutting down for lack of quality blood flow. Suprisingly, knowing your husband was available also takes some of the pressure off you and would decrease your adrenaline response. If you know there are no other options it is amazing how strong your responses can be.

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll rise to the occasion if needed in the future.

Re: Am I a Wimp?

Eh, no, you are not a wimp. You are sensitive, and that isn't a Bad Thing, although it can be a Difficult Thing.

One thing I noticed in a much earlier post...you got freaked out when one of your children got hurt.

Well OF COURSE YOU DID! That's the way it is supposed to work, and you shouldn't be worried about being a "wimp".

There is no more terrifying thing than to see your child in pain.

And, BTW, we all do stuff like falling into the pen head first. It's just that most of us try to pretend that it never happened [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...