Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have been told that there are some goat......

I have been told that there are some goat......

....people here and I see that there is. I have been worrying about my nubian mix, she is pregnant with her second brith, the first was uneventful. It seems like she's been pregnant forever and has had two incidents of minimal discharge. Is that normal? She moves around but rests a lot and she's huge, her bag almost dragging the ground. I checked her for the tendons at the base of her tail and I located them and they are floppy and loose, but they have been this way for several days. Anything here to be concerned about?

Re: I have been told that there are some goat......

This don't help because i havent the foggiest idea, but i wish her and you luck [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Good luck, Larry

Well Larry, your heart is in the right place and that counts. Thanks for responding. Maybe someone will come along, eh?

Sorry, I can't help either, but have you tried http://www.goatworld.com ? Lot of useful information there for us goat owners.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Hang in there Cindi. Steve and Pam will see your post, and they can probably help. I just sent an e-mail to my wife at work (she's Earthmother on CBN) to see if she knows anything or anyone who can help.

We're planning on getting Nubians this spring, and I'll try to get you the e-mail address of the breeder we're getting them from.

I wish your dang vets would do farm calls in your area, but I know they won't!! Hang in there, I'm trying to find help!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Cindi, check your e-mail. I sent you some info!!!
    Rich

Cindi,

I don't think you need to worry. Our Lilly is also over due, and acting just about the same way. She walks around and around the pen and just head butts the other goats out of her way. And gets bigger and bigger day by day.

Dates appear to be hard to judge this year. There's a breeder West of us that said all of her girls were off date this year, and I've heard it from a couple of other folk, too. Of course, that could be just localized for my area. (Dates are hard to judge anyway, because these critters don't always take on the first try, or when you think they should.)

If she's carrying multiples, she will be real big (possibly real, real big), and probably real miserable. I guess I wouldn't worry too much unless she is obviously in great distress.

We've got a goat meeting Saturday, so I'll toss it up to the other folks and see if they have any opinions, or futher info to pass along.

Our Vet mentioned watching for a toxic problem, recognized by protruding hip bones with deepening hollows underneath. He recommended increasing grain ration in the last few weeks if these symptoms show up.

Steve

I've been following this thread here and on TBN and suspect, like the other guys, nothing to worry about. But it does remind me of a goat I raised when I was just a kid. I raised that nanny goat as a pet, but got her bred and was going to have myself a milk goat. But then an uncle who lived very close to my grandparents had some stomach problems and his doctor recommended goat milk. So before she was due to have the kid(s), I let my grandfather take her to his place and he was going to milk her. She had both a big belly and her bag was very full, but nothing happened. Then one teat started shriveling up and my grandfather called a vet. Weirdest thing we had ever heard of at the time, but the vet said she wasn't pregnant; that it was a "false pregnancy" (and she was just too fat) and that if my grandfather had just started milking her, everything would have been all right. So he started milking her, but just one teat. And I've never heard of such a thing before or since.

You know there was a point when I looked at her that I thought her bag was going down, but then it came back stronger than ever, and she does have colustrom.

I hope she doesn't make it til Saturday, but if she does, I'll be here for that info. Thanks.

Cindi, my wife and I talked to one of our vets last night. As the others have said, your goat is probably OK, but if things go bad, she might need eventually to have an induced labor, which is a complicated thing. If that happens, both my wife and our vet had a thought. Could you bring her to one of the vets in your area? I know they won't come to your place, but a goat is small enough to be transported in a pickup, a van or even a car. You probably won't need to do that, but it's a backup plan.

My vet was ssoooo upset about your situation, but unfortunately upstate New York to Florida is a little far for a farm call. But she suggested that maybe you could get your goats used to car or truck rides so that they can have regular vet visits and their various shots when they need them.

We're getting our farming/veterinary community involved in trying to come up with some ideas for you. I'll keep you posted!!
    Rich