Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compost

Compost

Well, sense Fawteen had opened the door, I will jump on it, and start the post on compost. I started my first compost pile about 2 years ago. I am using a bin made out of old pallets, for now, I have two bins, but will be adding a third, and forth after the snow melts. I am not a "fast"composter. My first batch was done in about 5 months, and I have two batches in there now, that have been in for about a year.[busy year] Also the piles need to be watered once in a wile, and with no water where they are, they were a bit dry. This summer I will have water, and can work them better. Here's a shot of my bins last year.......

Paul Bradway

Re: Compost

That's some good looking stuff, Paul!

The number of bins (beyond 2) is based mostly on volume of materials to be composted, and how quickly you want finished product.

The idea is to turn compost from the first bin to the second bin, and start a new pile in the first. Turning aerates the pile, mixes uncomposted materials into the center where the process works faster (due to heat and the concentrated presence of microorganisms) and controls the temperature.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, or even a particularly talented amateur, but I DO have access to some extremely knowlegeable people and print resources. As folks chime in on this thread and bring up new points or questions, I'll try to come up with references and answers.

And, just for the sake of discussion, does anyone use or have experience with "compost tea"?

Paul - I use straw bales for mine. Here are mine being "recharged" last fall. Chuck

When I add the two more bins, I plan to turn the piles from one bin, to the next, then start a third, then turn them all and start the 4th. I have a lot of browns for the compost,[tons of trees] but have to scramble a bit for greens.
    Paul Bradway

The 'greens' are the high-nitrogen components. If you're having trouble getting enough nitrogen (30:1 carbon-to-nitrogen is considered optimum) from green materials, is there any chance you can substitute manures?

BTW, DO NOT use pet waste, or manure from any carnivores. The heat typically generated in a compost pile is not sufficient to kill the associated pathogens.

Mostly I use coffiee grounds for greens. That is not quite enough most of the time though. Once in a wile I will through a bag, or two of grass clippings in, and that seems to help.
    Paul Bradway

Rodale Press has an informative book on composting. A bag of processed Steer Manure is not too expensive and is high in nitrogen, even human urine will help the nitrogen content.
    My choice, though, is alfalfa meal. It comes in bags around 40 lbs. As I recall, a pile the size of yours only needs a couple of good handsful to supply all the nitrogen necessary. A bag could last a few seasons.

OkieG

I just picked up a bag of alfalfa meal, but thats going on the lawn. I was planing on adding all my leaves[I have a TON] when I move the piles, and add some blold meal to it. That should give it a big boost.
    Paul Bradway

Yes, I believe bloodmeal is also high in Nitrogen.

OkieG

I've got about 100 yard of horse manure free for the taking!!!!!! I'll even load ya! Make an awful lot of compost! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]