Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compost

Re: Compost

I appreciate the offer. If only I didn't live a 1000 miles away?!? [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

OkieG

Hmmm, 3000 miles for free compost? Perhaps I'll take you up on it - but only after I'm sure my old truck will handle the trip [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img].

Just tell me when - it's been perculating all winter!! (Actually it's pretty amazing how much heat is generated. Top of the pile keeps snow melted all winter and when I start moving it in the spring the center of the pil is all ashy like it actually burned! I read of a farmer that actually runs pipe through his manure pit and captures the heat through a heat exchanger)

Back when hay was stored in a barn loft there were many barns burnt down from internal combustion by wet hay decomposing and getting hot enough to burn.

Egon.

Actually, that's how we heated the hen house last winter. We didn't get a chance to get power out there yet, so we just kept throwing fresh hay down over the chicken droppings and let it compost. It got pretty cold in there, but every time we checked temp, it was 20 to 30 even when the outside temps had fallen below 0.

Steve