Thread: Progress on the 57 Dodge p/u

Progress on the 57 Dodge p/u

Our weather warmed up to the upper thirties today, so I spent it under Ethan, as we call the old truck now. The nuts holding the running boards in place were so rusted there was nothing to hold onto, so had to use a cutting tool to free up the driver's side. Lot of wire brush and sander action next as I took the bottom of the cab and the portion of the frame that will be hidden by the rebuilt gas tank down to bare metal, then primed and POR-15'd it. Wanted to get this part of the frame done first, so I can get the fuel system back together.

Got an exhaust manifold on the way from Arizona. It has a hairline crack in it, but thanks to the sound advice of this forum I was able to find a shop that specialized in repairs done right. Once that is done and the exhaust system is put back together we'll be able to fire the old boy up and see what we've got! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Hopefully there will be no more mechanical issues to deal with and we can -- once warm weather is here to stay -- focus on the body work.

This old truck stuff really gets in the bloodstream!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: Progress on the 57 Dodge p/u

Pete:

Sounds like we better start thingking up names for the new "old truck restoration company " .

Egon

WOW! I can't beleve all the work you have gotten done on thet truck this winter. Now you say your working outside??

I have gotten NONE of my projects done. I got an old Mustang striped to the shell, a old Ford convertible in the yard under a tarp, and all kinds of garden tractor projects hanging around. I did get to replace a fuse the other day on one of the tractors, but thats it. Its just been SO cold, and snowy, I just want to sit in the house, and keep warm.
    Paul Bradway

Paul -- Working outside in the winter here in Vermont sure has a different feel than it did in my boyhood in southern California [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I have a 55 Dodge halfton I have been cannibalizing for parts. Got to remember to pick up anything I drop, and to get any parts I want off the ground as I remove them. Under that truck, frozen right into the ice and waiting for the Big Thaw are: both front shock brackets, a wheel, the steering gearbox, the fuel tank springs, the rear differential, a complete set of 1/2" drive sockets, a hammer, a breaker bar, and a steering wheel. Oh, and I can see the glovebox door about three inches down under the ice!

Sure am glad I had the foresight to put the good truck in the garage! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Well, Pete, I come from the other side. I spent my youth working on cars outside in the winter. I once did a V8 swap on my Chevy Monza in -15deg weather. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Only thing is now I am sick of it. Unless I have to, either someone else does it, or it does not get done. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As for parts cars. Got to love them. I have one for my convertible, that has good sheet metal, and a good 460, that I have to strip down one of these days. Only thing is, cold season, leads to bee season. So I have not done anything with it yet.
    Paul Bradway