Thread: Animal husbandry literature

Animal husbandry literature

Being new to the whole farm animal thing I was thinking that some reading might be in order. My wife and I hope to get some chickens, and I have several pastures that need to be kept in check so I was thinking sheep or goats..? Long term we might get into horses or even a cow or two. I plan to visit the local library, but don't expect to find much (creeping suburbia). I was wondering if there are any good reference books out there that anybody reccomends? Something that would be worth spending the money to own.

Thanks,

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: Animal husbandry literature

I didn't know a durn thing three years ago. We started out with chickens, and then goats, then pigs and then A cow. The internet is your most valuable source of literature. You can find anything about anything and many sites specialize in one type of animal. plus it's available 24-7.

I don't know about your part of the country, but in mine, I've always found the "county agent" (county agricultural extension agent) to be a very good source of information specific to your locale.

Check around and see if you have a local 4H. The 4H leaders frequently need help, and in exchange, you can get some hands on experience with other people's critters before you have to deal with your own.

Steve

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

The ideas everyone mentioned are great, but here's another that you shouldn't overlook. If you live in an area with farms, get to know your farmer neighbors. Most farmers are very happy to see land brought back into any kind of agricultural use, even hobby farming. Our full time farmer neighbors have been a huge source of information for us!! Plus no one knows better than them about the land in your area.

The cooperative extension also usually has all sorts of courses for neophyte farming. The cooperative extension in our area has an "Introduction to Farming" series of courses that are fantastic, and we've learned so much from them.

And of course, never forget CBN and TBN. If you have questions, post them!!! You're sure to get some answers here!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Gregg, I just checked your bio, and I see you're thinking of getting Belgians from a rescue group. We did that last year, and Rosie, our Belgian will be 2 in May, and she is a real joy!! We really love her!! Let us know when you're ready for that, and we'll tell you where to get them. Belgians have wonderful temperments, and they're EXTREMELY intelligent and affectionate!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Like what the others are saying, literature should only be a part of your learning experience. I'm learning a lot from a local farmer who befriended me when we moved out here. I help him with his hay and I take care of his livestock when he wants a night off.

Some books I would recommend:

Anything from Storey Publishing. I have Raising chickens and Raising Rabbits.

Small Scale Livestock Farming - A Grass-Based Approach.

Also, a humourous book that does include some good information: The Contrary Farmer by Gene Lodgson.