Thread: 1999 F150 4x4

1999 F150 4x4

I know there must be a few members with this truck out there. Maybe newer or older, but Do you have to do front break work often. My truck has 44,000 and i just put new front breaks on it today. Rotors and pads. I had to use a wheel puller to get the rotors off. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] They were froze on tight. The more people i talk to the more i find out Ford has trouble with the front breaks on Pick ups and SUV's. My rotors were warped bad. The truck shook like crazy when aplying the brakes, yet the pads were not bad at all. It wasnt a bad job to do in the driveway. Next time they should come off easy. I put never sieze on every thing [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Well eccept the pads [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] 102.00 for the parts. Not to bad i thought. Im going to take the old rotors to work and see how bad they are, I may turn them and save them for later Any feed back out there.
    Thanks Larry

Re: 1999 F150 4x4

I'm not much of a Ford man, matter of fact I hate them with a passion. With that said, there is one little thing that you need to think about. Are you, or the other person that drives the truck, a left footed braker? Just in case it's subconscious, look at the left side of the pedal pad and see if there is any wear. If you rest your foot on the pedal, at all, you build heat in the rotors and they warp. It doesn't take much, the manufacturers aren't putting much metal in stuff like that in the name of fuel efficiency. You need a lot of mass on something like a brake rotor to store the heat and they just aren't putting it there anymore. I'm not accusing you, you understand, just bringing something to your attention that you might not have thought of. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Im the sole driver and i dont ride the brakes. I use my right foot anyways. Thanks for the input just the same. So i can rule that out.
    Thanks, Larry

Check out f150online.com lots of 150 owners have the same problem the first time doing a break job. Many of them had to cut the rotors off. I haven't done the breaks on my 99 SD, I hope I don't have a problem.

Steve