Thread: Chipper / shredder maintainence

Chipper / shredder maintainence

I have a chipper / shredder that I bought at Home Depot about five years ago. I use it probably 20 hours a year, maybe more, but not much. I have a bunch of fruit trees so I generate quite a bit of excess branches, which I try to mulch (rather than burn).

The engine is a "Tcumsah XL Professional", 10 HP. I don't know what the brand name is, because the label fell off years ago and I can't find the manual.

I change the oil in it every 20 hours or at least once a year (which is probably the same thing). I don't see an oil filter on it (just checked to be sure). It runs just fine, but I'd like to preserve it for as long as possible as I'm using it for things that it probably wasn't meant for (sure, it claims to handle 3" branches, but actually cramming one down it's throat is a different matter [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

My guess is that I need to take it apart and sharpen some of the blades. Now, I'm not asking for specific instructions, but can anyone give me general guidelines regarding the care and feeding of a small time chipper?

Thanks...Chris

Re: Chipper / shredder maintainence

Your manual should give you instructions on maintainance. The "chipper" portion of the unit typically has two or three blades that need routine sharpening depending on use. Dry limbs, especially fruit trees, can wear the blades quicker (in just a few hours). Use a slow spead grinder otherwise you'll burn the steel and ruin the blade. Grind all blades equally to minimize balance changes. The proper grinding angle should be in the book. The "shredder" section of the unit typically has swinging "hammers." These just wear and are replaced when worn out. Yours may be reversible so check the manual. Given the number of hours, it's not likely the hammers need changing.

I have an older 5hp MTD chipper, and all I have realy done is just change the oil. I did have to replace the blades once, someone put a handfull of nails in there, and broke one of the blades, but thats about it. One thing, use good oil! I had put cheep 10/30 in once, and it sounded like the hammers of hell. A refill with 30 weight, fixed it up. There is a LOT of load on those motors!
    Paul Bradway

Good to hear - I use Chevron 30 weight in all my small engines. I change the oil pretty often - usually within the recommendations [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. I like to say that the best thing you can do for your engines is an oil change...

Chances are it is a Murray or MTD. They are similiar. I have got the craftsman version of that. Change oil probably time for an air filter and check the cooling fins on the motor. Make sure the fins are not clogged or blocked with debris from chipping. Usually can just pull the sheet metal off of the head area. As far as blades, I would think it is probably time for sharpening. To get to the blades could be like splitting the machine in half. About a dozen bolts around the chipping housing. Before you split the machine take the chipping shoot off and try to get to the blades that way. I had to put a new crankshaft seal in mine due to some very stringy bark that wrapped around the shaft and wiped out the seal.

I agree about the optimism of chipping 3" branch with this machine. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Gary

Yeah, it is an MTD. And I think you're right about getting the blades out - have to split the machine. But I also expect it is something that needs to be done. Wouldn't be surprised to find plenty of junk in it...

I have a 10HP MTD with the newer plastic chute. It worked OK from the store, but felt the chute was too restrictive for most of the branches. I was getting a workout trying to force the branches down the chute. I guess I'm just all out of straight perfect branches at my place !!

I decided to experiment and see if I could make it work better.

1) I sharpened the "new" blades. I removed them and filed them to a razor sharp edge. I used a hand file, as a power tool would probably heat the steel too much and lose the heat treating temper.

2) I hogged out the entry hole at the end of the metal chute. The factory chute is welded to the metal plate and sticks out past the bracket. I ground off at least 1/4" around the top and sides to allow larger or crooked branches to get to the blade. This 1/4" inch makes quite a difference since the metal is tapered into a cone. It adds more usable diameter into the blade.

3) I removed the plastic chute and installed the metal entry chute by itself. This leaves a chute about 10" tall.

This is a new machine !! It will eat everytihg I throw in and right now. It hardly slows down for a 3" branch. I feed them in as fast as I can move my arm. The chute is not any more dangerous than the DR style I have seen. Of course, utmost care and safety must be used at all times with these nasty machines.

I always wear ear muffs. It's a racket to behold.