Thread: Paint tree..?

Paint tree..?

Hi..

I have a silver maple tree about 40 feet tall at the corner of my lot line. The state is going to repave the blacktop road so the locals are trimming all branchs that are hanging over the road that are low. Which is fine, (they did a good job).

They also cut the bottom "Y" branch for me that is about 24 inches in dia. , as I was thinking of taking the whole tree down.

Well....now I changed my mind and want to keep the rest of the tree, which looks healthy and is straight. So..what can I get to help seal the "Y" that was cut.?? And...should I re-cut the "Y" straight, level, or at an angle for water run-off.?

I hope the rest of the tree can be saved. Thanks George

Re: Paint tree..?

ges
    I use a product called "Treekote". I order it from "baileys-online.com" Item# 21650. It comes in a 12 oz. spray can simple to use.
    Solo

Solo,....Hi and "thank-you" ordered 2 cans. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Take care......George

I have used that product also with good results...

As I understand it, painting a fresh cut makes the tree look better in the eye of the beholder, but does very little, either for or against, the tree. So it is not a waste of time and money if it looks better to you.

Some even think that any "foreign" material slows down the growth process around the cut (at the cambium growth layer) which must grow over the cut (likely never on such a big cut) to protect the remainder of the growth layer. I think the coating keeps moisture in the wood, thus keeping the deep drying checks from getting too big. But again, some argue that the drier the wood the more resistant to decay, so let it dry out. Seems no one knows for sure, except those selling a product to spray on the cut. Eventually the wood in the cut off section will decay, so the more water you can get to shed off the cut, the longer the decay will be delayed.

In the past all cuts on trees were coated but this practice has been found to not be required. The angle of the cut, distance from the main tree and the time of year for the species in question are the important factors.

Egon

I put myself through college as a certified arborist (tree surgeon). Tree paint is not recommended. Most tree paints are asphalt or creosote based and are actually toxic to the growth (cambium) layer of the tree, thereby slowing wound closure. You want the tree to scab over the wound as quickly as possible to help prevent decay.

On the same topic: The best time to prune a tree is in the winter when it's dormant and disease spores aren't present. Also, during the winter, all of the previous growing seasons energy is stored in the roots and will return to less canopy ,after pruning, when growth resumes in the spring. Making for a healthier tree.

Just make sure the cut is square to the "bullseye" the raised area where the branch left the tree, and as close as possible without actually intruding on it.
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer