Thread: Insulation Installation question

Insulation Installation question

I am putting a bathroom in my basement and wanted to insulate the floor above the ceiling and the walls. Does it matter which way I install the insulation(paper facing me or facing the wall)? I would rather handle it as little as possible.

Steve

Re: Insulation Installation question

install the insulation with the paper facing you. moisture from a bathroom will ruin the insulation if the paper is toward the outside wall.

gspig is right. The "rule of thumb" for kraft faced insulation is to always put the vapor barrier(paper) to the warm side. In this case the bathroom is the warm side, and it has the potential to contain more humidity than the other areas.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the input. Paper facing the warm side sounds fine with me.

Steve

It's easier to put it in that way, too. At the edges of the paper there should be extra paper that you pull flat and then staple to the studs. You hardly have to handle the insulation at all, if you're careful. Cut the insulation to length first. I start at the top, handling the paper and once that is stapled in the rest falls into place (well, mostly).

Better yet, don't use the paper. It makes a lousy vapour barrier - you are better off with 6 mil plastic, especially in a humid place like a washroom. If you insist on using paper backed insulation, consider slashing the paper (after installation and adding a proper 6 mil plastic vapour barrier.

They sell insulation that is encapsulated at Home Depot. We used it on the last remodel we did and the help loved it. It comes wrapped all the way around with plastic and has the tabs on the edges to staple it up with.

I put a bath in the basement also. This might be a over kill but after the paper back insulation i put up that foam dow board thats covered with foil as a vapor barrier. Then i put up the grid type drop ceiling. Made for great noise redution also. You cant hear nothing from upstairs or from the bath down stairs. The foil back dow board was only 6 bucks a sheet. Less than 2 did the job. Just my 2 cents worth is all.
    Larry

I did use a 6 mill on the walls against the concrete block. I also used the styrofoam stuff on those walls also. I think I am going to make a trip to HD and see if I can find the insulation that is totally covered. After working a few summers doing fiberglass work on boats I try to stay away from the stuff.

Steve