Thread: Natural Fence

Natural Fence

I have about a 400' long road front stretch that I would like to plant some shrubs or hedges that would serve as a fence. What I would like to do instead of the 3 board vinyle fence that the home owners assocaition requires [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] , is make a natural fence that would grow large and thick enough to provide privacy and some sort of a barrier.
    It seems that cost and rate of growth kinda go together. I found some 1 gal. azaleas for $1.98 but the plant expert said that it may take 8 years to get the effect that a want. Where as if a went with orrelanders, $4.98 gal., they may grow up to 4' per year. Myself, I'm looking for size and thickness (the bigger the better) Wifey wants something that will flower at least part of the season. I'm thinking even if I have to pay more, per plant, for the effect I want it still should be cheaper than a man made fence, right??? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Any suggestions,comments???

Re: Natural Fence

fax:

Welcome to CBN

There are probably hundreds of plants you could put in that would do the job. A lot depends on where you live (you need to fill out your bio).

I personally have used Forsythia in one case and Rose of Sharon in another case for a living fence.

This Link is a document on the subject that applies if you are in a more tropical climate. I got it from this Google Search that has many more possibilities.

One caution since you mentioned homeowner's association and I mention this because I once had a disagreement with one on this very subject. Some homeowner's associations rules are written such that they apply to "living fences" as well as other fences. Check yours to be sure before you invest in 400' worth of plants.

The oleanders will grow quite fast. Out here they use 'em on the highway to hide the barrier cable that runs down the middle and if anything happens to the plants they just prune 'em way back - a year later you often can't tell where they cut.

They're pretty, and hardy. Don't take much water, either, and aren't too picky about the soil. They like full sun.

There are lots of different species of azalea. Some claim to grow fast - don't know where you are, but you'll want to check your USDA zone to make sure that you choose the right species for your area. Most prefer partial shade, they don't like clay soils (raised beds are recommended for clay soils).

Keep in mind, too, that both plants are poisonous. The azalea's leaves are, the entire oleander plant is. I'd plant oleanders for the same purpose except for that fact (my three rail wood fence has a few more years left in it, although all my neighbors are putting in that plastic stuff - but at $4 / ft. it isn't in my budget [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]).

I get all my info from the Sunset Western Garden book, btw. It is the reference that the good nursurys use around here and I'm sure there is an edition for your area. But find a good nursury - or maybe your local co-operative office.

Oh, one last thing - stick with one gallon containers. The five gallon plants will be bigger for the first year or so but typically you'll get larger, healthier plants if you let them grow in the ground rather than in a container.

Hope that is helpful...Chris

again, it really matters where you live.

i planted some one gallon red tip photinias a coupla years ago, and they are about 5'-6' high now....these were in my back yard and got watered every time the sprinklers came on, but they fillled in very nicely and very quickly!!

and in north texas, we lose our oleanders every 3-4 yrs because of the winters we get.....they seldom get a chance to get cold hardy, then BAM!!, we get 20 or 25 degree days in december!

and 4$ a ft for the vinyl fencing?? i would jump all over that!!
    my neighbors are paying between 8.50 & 9.50 a ft depending on how many feet they get......that is the installed price, surely you were quoting the purchase cost only.

i decided to go with the 5' non climb horse wire with pipe rail top for my fencing....it ran me 6.50 a ft with the wire and the painting.....2 3/8" pipe with vertical posts every 10'....2 3/8" top rail welded to the posts

WVBILL

Appreciate the info and will take a look at it. I have been planning to get with someone at the homeowners association to check before I do spend the $. But have been putting it off.
    Heck, it's been fun just doing the research [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Chris

The guy at home depot told me the same thing (about the orleanders being planted between a divided highway). I saw some today at the DPS station that were huge!!! I am leaning towards 1 gal containers myself mainly because of the cost and figure I can wait the extra time for them to get established. Thanks.

bigbukhntr

I have also considered red tip photinias and have seen some get pretty big. I wouldn't mind if the oleanders freeze just as long as they come back. I had a philodendron that was growing kinda slow and it froze a couple of winters in a row and man, the next season it would really take off [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] So, after that I never worried about protecting it. I don't know if the oleanders would do the same.
    Most of the time our winters here in Houston are pretty mild. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> and 4$ a ft for the vinyl fencing?? i would jump all over that!!
    </font color>

Yup. One of the neighbors has a nursury business and he's been around forever. He found some buddy that is selling the stuff at $4 / ft. to him and to another of our neighbors. Don't think that includes installation, tho.

But he also has this really large work force to tap into - they have one of the wives of one of his guys clean their house (a big one it is, too) once a week. Payment for that service? One slaughtered cow a year.

It looks really good. Now my wood fences that were painted three years ago and used to be better than theirs look like junk [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

I am sure that this post is late but why don't you look into a bottle brush plant. It is evergreen, blooms several times a year and is in full bloom before the crapes have any leaves on them.