Thread: Dry Hydrant

Dry Hydrant

I had the fine folks from the local VFD out here yesterday to talk about burning some brush. When they caught sight of my pond, their eyes got big as they asked me if I would be willing to host a dry hydrant.

Being civic minded (and also delighted to take any reduction in my insurance for having such a thing), I am certainly interested.

But I am wondering if there are guidelines pertaining to HOW MUCH water they can use from the pond. Would they be allowed to drain the thing, meaning I'd have to deal with the fish kill and restocking issues? Or are there rules that they need to find an additional source of water once mine has been drained to a certain "fish survivable" level?

Of course, if it is my house on fire, by all means they should use the whole thing!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Also, I was surprised when they told me that the nearest "alternative" source was several miles away ... although there are quite a few other ponds around here, some of them much larger than mine. I don't mind helping out the neighborhood, but I'd hate to think that my little pond is the only stopgap for the surrounding 10 or 20 square miles.

Have any of you had experience with dry hydrants?

Re: Dry Hydrant

Locally, I've seen them use swimming pools and anything else they can get when things get bad. Usually, they'll refill the swimming pools within a day or so. They're actually equiped quite well for things like that. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] You might want to check with them on their policy and get a letter or something on official letterhead, just to make sure. Most of these little volunteer departments have two or three guys that just love running the machinery and they are glad to have the job of refilling the pools. If your pond is not spring fed, or if the spring is real slow, they'll probably refill it for you.

Steve

PS. Yes, their eyes get big as saucers when they see a pond.

I would. This is the place Va. USDA that should be able to answer your questions. Locally, they use dry hydrants and they are <font color="red"> supposed </font color> to be set so that the last 12-14" of water goes unused. They might have to upgrade the roadway also. (They should pay for all improvements, but not necessarily maintenance) Since the key word in your question was VOLUNTEER fire dept. don't expect too much though 'cause funds are limited. These are truly neighbor helping neighbor organizations.

Just a guess but I suspect they want the intake off the bottom of the pond anyway to avoid sucking too much mud. If you were to dictate say a 3 foot height from bottom you wouldn't have to worry about them overdraining as they'd suck air once the hit that height. If you have a heavy fish load though I'd still wnat the water replaced quickly as in hotter weather the oxygen can get exhausted pretty quick.....

When I was on the volunteer fire department, we had a floating pump (gasoline powered) that could be shoved out into any pond, lake, etc. to refill a truck.