Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We gather here today

We gather here today

for the declared death of my 1973 Mongomery Wards 16hp riding mower.

This mower died a peaceful death behind the shed under a tarp where it provided shelter for the local field mice and hornets for the past 3 yrs. It has mowed countless acres of grass, some 3' +/- high [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and never a stall or a choke.

I semi retired it 3 yrs ago when I bought a 18 hp diesel Yamar (Japanees John Deere) and a 4' bush hog for my little 5 acres place.
    Last Nov I finished building my house and last summer I planted Zoyias grass which hasn't gotten tall enough to mow, but that is last yr...

I tried to revive the old mower, but it just isn't going to happen. I obtained a 11hp SEARS, but the deck is too messed up (seezed up) and wasn't worth fixing, however the motor runs good ( I have it stored in the garage).

Now to the point of this long winded post.... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I need to get a mower to mow about 1 acre. I was thinking about a nice 50" rider, but it was suggested that I get a finish mower and pull it behind my tractor or later if I were to buy a 4 wheeler.

Here is my delema... I disced and leveled my front yard and planted Zoyias in the front of the house which needs to be cut at about 1"-1 1/2". At least for the first yr to help promote growth.

Will a a pull behind finish mower cut low enough for my needs ? Would I be better off to go ahead and buy a nice rider and just save the tractor for bush hogging..?

I went to TSC and layed my eyes on a 26 hp (briggs), 52" cut beauty.. Kind of did Homer Simpson (Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu druel) on it when I spotted this baby last Friday [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] It was only $3,000 [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: We gather here today

Gee Andy, [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] You killed the microwave last fall and now the mower? [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Actually, there are some self-powered { not PTO} pull behind units that work really good for ground that is not too steep or low and wet. Get one of them babies stuck and you will learn words that you never even thought of before. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

For us, the 2 ac we have the horses on just need to be trimed every now and then to keep the stuff they don't eat from becoming mini trees. The other land we lease, 8 ac is a mix of woods and feild and we are going to try to have hay on it this year. Drought killed everything last year.

We have a no-name type rider mower with either a 42" or 46" deck. { cant remember right now } a Agri-Fab leaf and lawn lawn vac that is a tow behind unit. If you have any trees next to the house and are looking for a time saving way to get rid of the leaves and grass clippings that is the way to go. It is not good on hilly ground as it tends to be top heavy and tips over easily.

Happy shopping!

Mike says if you get up this way and come over, please admire his truck from a distance. The streak of luck you have been having with power devices scares him. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Cathy
    Everything in life comes full circle, it's just a matter of time.

I was in a similar situation...based on price I could get a rider cheaper than a finish mower for my 4110. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] By the way I remember my dad had the same mower, I think his was a '71 or '72, used the heck out of it and he had it for years!

Hi Cathy... Nice to see you here [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You know, Ang said the same darn thing to me on trucks only.. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

MountainBoy, I am sure going to miss that old rider... I bought it 6 yrs ago for $200 and put another $250 into it and had it for 6 yrs and used the heck out of it. Its so old (30 yrs old) I can't even find replacement blades or deck parts any more [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I went to TSC and the first mower I laid eyes on (it was closest to the door) was a 26 hp 52" cut... [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] Can you say Ar ar ar ar... ? LOL Power !!! For $3,000 it better be top of the line. Some of the features I liked about this mower was the roller guides it has on the deck.
    They also have a self powered pull behind 60" finish mower for $1100.

I just don't know if the finish mower will be manueverable as a rider since all I have is a Yanmar farm tractor (fully equipt with rice patty tires) to pull it with. Like I said before, I have a Zoyias front lawn which needs close trimming.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 3 grand is low range. To get something tough, and fixable, plan on spending 5 grand, and up. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Thats why I buy used. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but 3 grand is low range. To get something tough, and fixable, plan on spending 5 grand, and up. Thats why I buy used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but this comes with a cup holder... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

For strictly mowing/value etc,I vote for a Sears Craftsmen riding lawn mower/16 hp 42 cut/hydro.I bought mine new in 1996 for about $1300 and I have mowed a lot of yards,only thing I replaced was the belt/blades and battery...And the belt was my fault,I was trying to cut a pasture,seeing what it would do. (before I bought my JD 4400).It is well spent money/value/affordable/reliable and it does a nice job on the yard.
    Just my .02 worth.

<font color="red">Yea but this comes with a cup holder </font color>

Oh well that changes everything. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

I know I'll probably get blasted for this. I generally try to economize (am one cheap ba!@$rd). I keep fixing my old 8N to keep from spending $16,000 on the Kubota I REALLY want, and I bought a cheap riding mower/lawn tractor instead of the $7,000 ZTR. My lawnmower is an MTD yard machine, 17hp. B&amp;S with 42" cut and hydro trans. Had it for two years and my wife and I have done our best to destroy it, but have failed. I even have tried mowing over high weeds, some small brush, small dead limbs, and in a very sandy/dusty environment. It keeps on going. Only minor routine maintenance, and it just works. We use it for about 2 hours every other week, 8 months out of the year. I got it at Lowe's as a "repaired unit" for $820.00. The reg. price now is about $1300 or so. At the price I paid, it is almost disposable. It does a good job on the grass (St. Augustine) too. Call me cheap but my place is paid for. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

MTD's are a good mower and the mfg have been around for a long time.

I have 5 acres and utilize the front acre for the house. The rest I grow for hay or just bush hog down. I would like to get at least a 48" cut. I don't have time to fool around with anything smaller.