Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pickup bed cover ideas

pickup bed cover ideas

I've seen pickups with various types of bed covers:
    Soft tonneau
    Hard tonneau
    Aluminum caps (shells)
    Fiberglass caps (shells)

Are there any other options? I want something that goes on/off easy. I won't need it on there very often, just for trips to keep luggage out of the weather and locked in. I've thought of a truck tool box, but they're not big enough to hold even 1 regular suit case. I was wondering if there's anything like a car roof top carrier that could be put in the bed of a pickup? A hard tonneau would be good, but they are pretty pricey.

Re: pickup bed cover ideas

It's sort of a personal choice. I used to have a fiberglass shell on our truck. Could even sleep in it when necessary. Now the camper stays on year round. Can sleep in that too.

How about a large plastic container that can be locked and securely fastened down. Might take a little looking but I'm sure they are out there.

Egon

egon - Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll check into one of those yard tool storage containers.

I also found a decent price on hard tonneau covers:

http://www.prestigious1.com/Tonneau.htm

Anyone know if these are "too cheap"?

<font color="blue"> Anyone know if these are "too cheap"?
    </font color>

Unless you don't mind looking at primer grey. They require painting to match your truck. The painted version sells for $649. I've seen cheaper painted versions.
    Hazmat

hazmat - Primer grey is fine since it won't be on most of the time. I have a cheap spray gun and could paint it good enough to suit me if I decide I need to have it match. The best price I can find around here for a matching color one is $750.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Soft tonneau
    Hard tonneau
    Aluminum caps (shells)
    Fiberglass caps (shells)

[/ QUOTE ]

At one time or another I've had all of those, except the fiberglass cap (my hard tonneau was fiberglass), and you left off "steel caps". I won't ever use the soft tonneau again because if you don't have some "ribs" across the bed to hold it up, water will collect and weigh it down in the middle, and the ribs are too much trouble to be worth it. My personal preference has been the two aluminum caps I've had that not only opened at the back, but also on either side - easier to get things out of the front without crawling inside from the rear.

I have seen a set-up that attaches to the hitch. They make a solid mount model and one that swings out. If I remember right they were under $400 bucks. They are watertight also.

Danny,
    There is an RV dealer there in Richmond,Indiana that used to advertise truck caps for $99. That was some years ago though. They were an aluminum cap that only stuck up about 6-8" above the truck bed rails. It's a thought, if all you want is to protect the luggage during travelling.

Jerry, that sounds like exactly what I need. Any idea of the name of the RV place?

Hmmm, RV place in Richmond... could only be Tom Raper. Known the midwest over. Huge dealer [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob