Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pickup bed cover ideas

Hybrid View

Re: pickup bed cover ideas

I have seen a set-up that attaches to the hitch. They make a solid mount model and one that swings out. If I remember right they were under $400 bucks. They are watertight also.

Danny,
    There is an RV dealer there in Richmond,Indiana that used to advertise truck caps for $99. That was some years ago though. They were an aluminum cap that only stuck up about 6-8" above the truck bed rails. It's a thought, if all you want is to protect the luggage during travelling.

Jerry, that sounds like exactly what I need. Any idea of the name of the RV place?

Hmmm, RV place in Richmond... could only be Tom Raper. Known the midwest over. Huge dealer [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Right, it was Tom Raper in Richmond. I thought the caps were made by Leer, can't remember now.

Well, I called Tom Raper in Richmond and sure enough, he has them for $99. But, they don't fit the 1999 or newer Chevy trucks, which is what I just bought. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I went to the Leer web site though, and they have what they call the 500 series hard tonneau, which they claim is priced more like the soft tonneaus. There are no actual prices on the web site though. I'll call the nearest dealer to me and find out.

I have one of these on my '99 Chevy Pace Edwards Roll-top I put it on the truck the day after it was "home." I had the truck ordered and had everything pre-ordered that I wanted to go on it. Haven't had a problem with it. Keeps out about 95% of all water and moisture. If you are moving it'll keep all moisture out. Just don't use your truck as a tool box w/ a tool box during the rainy season.....Wouldn't know why some of my tools are rusted would ya? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

so do you anyone knows how hard is a Hard Tonneau Covers? anyone knows this thing? and differentiate it from the soft one.

I don't think there are any covers that you would call "easy". If you want it to be secure, you have to do whatever it takes, depending on the type of cover you choose. That is just the choice you have to make - which is going to be the one you can live with.

There are a lot of options for tonneau covers. The soft ones are like the Jeep soft tops which are easy to use. The downside is it's easy to wear out and it doesn't ensure protection to your stuff. It is also prone to damage. The hard covers are also easy to use but isn't lightweight compared to the soft ones. By the way, I use the Bak-Flip for my truck.