Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pickup bed cover ideas

Re: pickup bed cover ideas

Right, it was Tom Raper in Richmond. I thought the caps were made by Leer, can't remember now.

Well, I called Tom Raper in Richmond and sure enough, he has them for $99. But, they don't fit the 1999 or newer Chevy trucks, which is what I just bought. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I went to the Leer web site though, and they have what they call the 500 series hard tonneau, which they claim is priced more like the soft tonneaus. There are no actual prices on the web site though. I'll call the nearest dealer to me and find out.

I have one of these on my '99 Chevy Pace Edwards Roll-top I put it on the truck the day after it was "home." I had the truck ordered and had everything pre-ordered that I wanted to go on it. Haven't had a problem with it. Keeps out about 95% of all water and moisture. If you are moving it'll keep all moisture out. Just don't use your truck as a tool box w/ a tool box during the rainy season.....Wouldn't know why some of my tools are rusted would ya? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My wife lost her keys a couple of weeks ago. This included the key to the tonneau cover. We've been down to just my key. I've had all new house/car keys made but no one (well of the few places I went) had a blank for it. While I had the link up for Mosey I saw Pace Edwards had a customer support number. I called it. Called it. Real friendly folks. They are sending me out 2 new key blanks at no charge. Didn't ask for receipt, date of purchase, or anything. Was pleasantly surprised that a company will take care of a customer in a day & age when not many companies do. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Jim

"How about a large plastic container that can be locked and securely fastened down. Might take a little looking but I'm sure they are out there.

Egon "

I looked into this idea and couldn't find anything big enough. The biggest I can find are about 18"-20" for the width and height, so full size suitcases (which mine measure 22" tall) won't quite stand up or lay down in one. They're long enough, but not tall enough or wide enough.

I did find some "deck storage containers" at Target that are big enough, but they're not lockable and they just snap together, so even if I put a lock on the lid, it would be easy for someone to pop them apart again, so I wouldn't dare leave anything valuable in them and let the truck out of my sight for very long.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    it would be easy for someone to pop them apart again,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't a soft cover present the same opportunity?

Steve

"Wouldn't a soft cover present the same opportunity?

Steve"

Yeah, which is why I'm not interested in a soft tonneau. I might get a hard (fiberglass) tonneau. I can either get the one I mentioned earlier that's unpainted for $350 (plus shipping, which I don't know the cost of yet), or I found a place not far from me that has painted (to match any color) ones for $625. I'm still trying to decide.

Have you tried checking the local scrap yard?

Steve

I did call a couple scrap yards, but my chances of one having one to fit my truck is pretty slim, so no luck yet.

I found out the shipping is $175 for the unpainted one for $350, so that's a total of $525. I can get a Leer 500 series one for $625 + tax, = $662.50, which would be painted and installed for that price.

Basically $100.00 to paint and install it? Boy, it's a tough call. I guess it depends on how good you can paint and how bad you want to save the $$$. I would expect even a scrap yard one would run several hundred.

Tried eBay?

Steve