Thread: Trickle From Shower

Trickle From Shower

Lately, when we pull up on the knob to start the shower, about half the water continues to come out the spigot instead of coming out of the shower head.

Is there an adjustment on whatever levers are connected to the knob to fix this?

Re: Trickle From Shower

Has your water pressure droped before you noticed this. Alot of those knobs work off your water pressure. I have a delta that you pull the actual tip of the bath faucet down for the shower to come on. If the water pressure is low it wont stay in position. Just a thought maybe.
    Larry

Hi Mike,
    Off the top of my head, I'd assume that the nozzle has some buildup in it that is keeping most of the water from coming out. When that happens, the pressure will usually force it by the bypass slider and out the faucet. Try taking the nozzle apart as far as you can, and soaking it in vinegar. Usually loosens up the deposits. If that doesn't cure it, getting a new head will definately do the trick. I've seen some heads clog up in less than a year. If that's the case with your's, you might want to consider filters and a softener.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

&gt;&gt; I'd assume that the nozzle has some buildup in it that is keeping most of the water from coming out.

Any other ideas on what the cause might be? I have the same problem with my shower. I've cleaned the nozzle and even removed the nozzle and am still getting water through the spigot. If it helps, the faucet is a 2 yr old American Standard.

Some water saver hookups have restrictor plates usually near the nozzle, but some have them near where it hooks to the spigot. There might be a buildup there. Also, the slider may have erosion from sediment, allowing water to bypass. Not as prevalent as nozzle buildup, but a close second. If it's the slider that's bad, then changing the setup is the way to go. Filters will definately help in this case. Home wells are where you'll find this problem. The pump or foot valve is usually to close to the bottom and stirs up the fine silt when drawing water. You could pull the pump/foot valve up a bit, but the filter should work just fine anway.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

Sounds to me like you don't have enough water pressure. When we are low that's exactly what happens.