Thread: My search is over, have new(er) pickup!

Hybrid View

My search is over, have new(er) pickup!

I just signed on the dotted line for a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4, LS Z-71, ext. cab, short bed, 5.3 liter V8, 4 speed auto. It was a one owner with 74K miles, good tires, sprayed on bed liner, tow package, and power everything.

Thanks to all for the info which helped me decide what to get. As usual, I ended up spending more that I initially planned, but I feel it will be worth it in the long run. I still have the last vehicle I bought 10 years ago with that many miles on it (1989 Chevy Suburban 4X4), and now it has 190K miles on it. So, if this one works out as well I'll be happy!

For those of you who are familiar with me on TBN, it's <font color="blue">blue</font color>! A different shade than my Boomer though.

Re: My search is over, have new(er) pickup!

Hey congrats Danny. I know you've spent a lot of time researching this purchase, sure hope it works out well for you. You'll have to post a photo, including your other <font color="blue"> blue </font color> toy [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Good truck. We had one exactly like that one, same options; we had the sliding rear window. No problems except wind got into the roof and rattled some electrical wiring at high speed. Loved that truck. My CFO liked to race cars off the stop light with it. Rarely lost. When that came off lease, we got the 2002, same everything.

Last week we saw the 2003 Silverado SS.. very nice.
    Pete

So far the only thing I don't like about it is the sun visor. It's way too small. It doesn't even cover the upper left corner of the windshield and when I flip it to the side it doesn't go far enough back. The one in our 1989 Suburban Silverado is big and has a slide out extender so it will cover the whole side window.

I'm glad that's the only thign you don't like. My pet peeves are a longer list, and are in no way against a single brand. All the big three, and even imports seems to have these problems:

1) no tie downs - Whoever put those little loops in the inside of the bed are real jokers. TRY to securely tie down a load. Tie it down securely.

2) pull hooks - How do you pull with these trucks. I got stuck in the snow, and had to hook to a spring hanger, which is a terrible thing to do. A few trucks have them, but all should have them, especially 3/4 and 1-tons.

3) backup lights - Seriously now! I popped a $45 tail light lens against a t-post while backing in the dark on a rainy night. Those engineers should have to back out of a tight spot in the woods, or a dark wet construction sight at night.

4) jingle bell/beepers - Who put these things in there so when the key is in the ignition and the door is open the buzzer buzzes or dings? So many times I WANT the door open, and the keys in ACC.

Those things sound sooooo simple. But, when you pay the bucks, you kinda expect a truck that can go to work. I have a '01 Dodge, but have been around Ford and GM/Chevy. They're all the same.

They did do one thing nice though; most new trucks are prewired for trailers and trailer brakes. My Dodge even cam with the little pigtail adapter for wiring the trailer brakes. Took me about 15 minutes to bolt and wire everything up. The charge line for the trailer though; it is a pain to add a battery isolator to it.

Sorry, don't want to detract from the new truck; you'll like it! I always thought it would be hard to beat my Grandpa's '69 GMC 3/4 ton 396ci Auto low geared truck for toughness, but these new trucks do pretty dang good!

I've heard the pull hook complaint before. One of the 4x4 magazines a few years back was complaining that the factory hooks were little more than decoration. Of course, those guys use their hooks pretty hard.

Steve

robertn - Well, I though I was picky! The tie downs inside the bed are just fine for me, the backup lights are also just fine and probably most people. If you're in the woods in the dark that much, some add-ons would be needed. I had some big ones on the back of my old CJ-5 for that reason. The tow hooks in the front and the 2" hitch on the back are great. I agree they should have a bypass switch for the "door open and keys in the ignition" beeper.