Thread: Asparagus beds ???

Asparagus beds ???

I've ordered some asparagus plants from Miller Nurseries and have heard that there is a certain way to plant them. I do have a little time before I get them and I would like to do it right. I live in North Carolina, with about 1 foot of good topsoil and then it's red clay.
    Thanks for any help, Tom H.

Re: Asparagus beds ???

Yes, I've seen lots of complicated instructions for planting asparagus. My brother got some from the county agent in Texas; dug out a trench a foot deep, put in a layer of mulch, covered them pretty shallow, let them sprout up through that, then add more dirt, fertilize, water, etc. and they did almost as well as the ones did when Dad & I just dug holes in the dirt and buried them in Oklahoma. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] However, if you go to google.com and search for "planting asparagus" you'll find a variety of information, such as this link and this one from Ohio. I didn't look very far, but maybe you'll find some instructions for your state, or you could contact your county extension agent and get detailed instructions there.

Thanks Bird, I got some good info from a site at NCSU.
    Thanks again, Tom H

Whatever you do make sure that you plant them where they won't be in the way. The plants will eventually get 6 feet tall and very dense. I always waited till late in the winter when the tops have turned and cut them off about an inch above ground level. Added another layer of compost and was readyt for the spring cutting.

Randy

Planting them where they won't be in the way is a great idea, and exactly what I thought I was doing when I put them on the south side of my shed. Then I figured out that would be the ideal place for a lean-to green house. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] So now I'm wondering if transplanting asparagus works. I'm not going to try it this year because I won't be doing the greenhouse for a while. Anyway, I followed the "Ohio" method when I planted my beds, I think. As I recall, that's where I found the instructions which basically said to dig a trench no deeper than about 6 inches, throw in a handfull of super phosphate, and drop the roots on top of that. Then fill in the trench and relax. I like simplicity. So, even if I can't transplant my old bed, it's no big deal. The old-fashioned instructions for preparing the bed were much more complicated, and the university site I found said the simple way worked just as well. Plus, the roots are pretty reasonable.

Chuck

Chuck, several years ago, I helped my dad transplant a bunch of asparagus. We simply dug up roots on one property, took them about 2 miles away, and buried them at about the same depth, and they did just fine.

If possible replant as you will be that many years ahead with the plants. They are hardy but require a good ground or a lot of feed. In Alberta they were one of the first green shoots in the spring.

Steamed and slathered in hot garlic/lemon flavored olive oil

Only drawback is the smell of the urine.

Egon

<font color="blue"> Only drawback is the smell of the urine </font color>

LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Too true.

OK!!! So the concensus of opinion is that I can transplant! Now one of you guys come by my place and tell me where to put them so I won't have to move them again! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The answer to that quwestion lies " Blowing In The Wind "

Repanting asparagas is a definet.

Egon