Thread: Finaly Starting My New House

Finaly Starting My New House

Starting early in the year 2000 we started looking for property to build a house on. We had to have certain technology available to us as both me an my wife work in the computer field so that limited the area we could chose. In April of 2001 we managed to acquire 10 acres of land for more then we wanted to pay and therefore had to split off two one acre parcels to make the project economically viable. One parcel was immediately sold to a friend, the other one has some "issues". So to make a long story slightly less long we decided to build on the one acre with "issues" and sell it in a couple of years and build again on the eight acres we really want our house on.

First problem was to get a sewer extension put in. The utility company required us to run a 10" main line across the whole front of the property. Took some big equipment & big $$$. This was done in February to avoid water table issues. Now we are waiting for a permit from the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to build in the 100 year flood plain. The "rules" require the house floor will be about 2.5' above current grade, I can live with that.

800x600 pictures
    Sewer1
    Sewer2

Re: Finaly Starting My New House

The 100 flood plane rules can add significantly to the house costs. However, I've seen several new homes locally that had flooded yards completely around the house this year last week. Wonder how their septic systsems faired. This is the first year in the last 6 or so that we've had heavy rains. Guess DHEC didn't enforce our rules during the drought. You don't want a backed up septic system. Plus following the rules will help sell your place.

No worries about a septic system, I'll be tied to the public sewer system. The rule (at least here in Michigan) for new construction is that your finished floor has to be 1 foot above the 100 year flood plain. Since the flood plain is about 1.5' above current grade, that makes my house floor 2.5' above grade. I will fill up to the flood plain level close to the house this will remove the house from the flood plain, and thus I will not have to carry flood insurance. I've spent a fair amount of time (and money) to find out all, I hope, the gotcha's.

Have you observed your house site when it's quite wet? You may find that the site puddles and/or is really muddy for several days after the rain is gone. I waited through one rainy season on my place prior to building so we'd know what drainage issues had to be addressed during construction. Good luck. My place is just completing the rough framing. Hoepfully I'll have roof shingles on it by the end of April. I'll post photos then.

When you fill, don't forget about the drive. In the event of a flood, you would still need to be able to get in and out.

Steve

There is an issue right now that final grading hasn't been done, so the ditch flows out on to the property, instead of continuing down to the creek. But your point is well taken and I have observed where the hose will go and it stay dry if the ditch isn't pluged.