Thread: 5 Gallon Birdhouse

5 Gallon Birdhouse

I've got 3 problems that I need to solve.
    1. Now that the house is finished, I've got about a dozen 5 gallon buckets from paint and drywall mud.

2. Now that the house is finished, the barn swallows can no longer nest in the eaves (sealed up).

3. I really like having the swallows around (just not in the eaves), since they do a great job of keeping down insects.

So, the solution to these three problems is to recycle the buckets into bird houses. Something along the lines of a Martin house. Problem is, I'm short of time (birds are already circling, looking for a place to nest), and I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

I figured I could get at least 2 floors in each bucket. Small bolts could be run through the bucket from the inside to make landing perches. 1/4 luan plywood dividers inside. 3/4 inch plywood on the bottom to screw through to hold the bucket to a post.

Any other suggestions? Do you think it's better to set the bucket top up or top down? Anybody tried this before?

Steve

Re: 5 Gallon Birdhouse

Wondering if the Barn swallows would go into a bird house. They may just go back to the eves and stick a nest there on the side of the house.

Egon

That I'm not sure of. I've seen them nest in barn rafters and once in a hollowed out fence post. The fence post is making me think that some kind of housing may be possible.

Steve

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Sorry, Steve. Barn swallows won't go into bird houses. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] They make their mud nests on the sides of buildings or other structures.

Also, if you can't get rid of the paint smell in the buckets, I don't think any birds will nest in them. Paint buckets usually still have the smell of paint.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Aw nuts. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Steve