Thread: Yard Hydrant repair question

Yard Hydrant repair question

I bought a place with a yard hydrant in the pole barn. It's a mark clayton hydrant. It stopped working so I took the head off. Comint out of hte head is a 4 " brass rod that looks like it threads onto another rod which goes down into the ground. The rod broke at the conntection. So I'm not sure how to get the rod out of hte ground. I put a nut on it and pryed up and it came up a bit (probably as far as it did when it was turned on for water) Should I just be able to pull it the rest of the way out ? Woudl really hate to go digging as after the pervious owner installed the hydrant, he then poured a concrete floor around it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: Yard Hydrant repair question

Nick,
    that rod goes down to the actual valve that is installed at the bottom end of the hydrant .... I'm not sure if they screw out or not ... but pulling on it will just likely cause more damage.
    I have a concrete floor around mine too ... so when I have to dig (and I have - twice so far) I go in from the side of the barn (it;'s only inside a foot or so). I'll take a look at the old one that I replaced tonight and see whether the valve can screw out to get replaced.

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Well, I found out that just pulling it is all that's needed. I now have the rod/plunger assemblyt out. But I've been unable to find anyone that can get me a new rod. From what I can tell, it's a 6 ft model.

I'm not sure who makes the Clayton Mark brand of hydrant but most indications have pointed to Simmons.
    Take a look at http://www.simmonsmfg.com/online_cat...rts/index.html
    and see whether these look like the right parts ...

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Any chance of welding the rod back together? Bottom should just be a bunch of o rings any maybe a seated washer on the bottom that can be replaced. Should be fairly simple to weld the rod back together and grind it smooth, then just replace. Also if you ever have to put another one in you just learned why setting in concrete is not the best way of doing things! Mine is just backfilled with gravel so I can dig it out easily if I ever have to replace the whole unit.

Just buy a new one and keep the spare parts. Or buy a brass rod from someplace like McMaster Carr and thread the end. Steel will work but eventually it will rust and destroy the top seals.

mikell

Been there Done that