Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Protection?

Fire Protection?

We've moved into our new house on the rural 12 acres and I am wanting to add something that will hopefully give us some additional protection (maybe buy some time until local FD arrives). What do you do on your place?
    Buildings are a 2500 sf brick home and 2000 sf shop (wood frame/metal panels/concrete slab). I have A-B-C fire extinguishers but was also considering some type of firewater system that could be used for the buildings. I doubt that the 2hp well pump will be adequate, so my thought was to consider installing a 500-1000 gal water tank with gas or diesel pump connected to a fire house cabinet at each structure. What would you do or what have you done? Thanks.
    Nick

Re: Fire Protection?

A good friend of mine managed to save his house from fire a few years ago. His road was closed to the west by a big construction project so his home was only accessible from the east, where his road crossed the main road into town.

Unfortunately, when the fire broke out there was a train stopped on the tracks blocking that main road between his road and town. The fire department had to drive miles and miles away from him to get to a point where they could cross, head a couple miles north then head back to him. Meanwhile, his house was burning.

His electrical service was gone but he managed to use a generator and pump to get water from his pool to keep the flames at bay until the fire department finally arrived.

You might want to consider at least rigging your well pump so that it can be powered by an external generator that you keep somewhere away from the house like an outbuilding. If the house ignites killing your electric, you can use the generator. If the outbuilding ignites you should still have power from the house to the well pump, assuming that's the path of the wiring.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps.

I've been on the local volunteer fire department for a little over 12 years. I'm qualified Firefighter I and Firefighter II by National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards, and I've been an officer for the last 6 years.

I say this only to establish my credentials, not as a way to brag [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, here's my thoughts. First, you have an excellent idea IF and ONLY if, you understand that it is to be used from the outside, or very, VERY small interior fires. With the construction of today's homes, furnishings and other interior accessories, the fumes/smoke from ANY fire become toxic VERY quickly. Virtually all fire-related deaths are from smoke inhalation, and happen in a split second. If you have ANY doubt, get out.

Don't bother fooling with the well pump. You will not get either enough volume OR enough pressure to do any good at all on a working fire. A garden hose to stop a grass fire, or wet down the roof yes, anything bigger, forget it. NFPA requires a minimum flow of 100 Gallons per minute to attack a fire. For exterior attacks or a holding action, you can get away with less, but the 10 GPM your well will provide is pretty much useless.

A 1000 gallon holding tank, used properly, will put out a lot of fire. You need at least a 1-1/2" hose and a proper nozzle to put out any significant fire. You can get an adjustable plastic "fog nozzle" that looks like an overgrown garden hose nozzle fairly cheaply. You'll also need a pump capable of flowing at least 50 GPM, more if you can afford it. Presssure is important as well. In an 1-1/2" hose 150 feet long with a nozzle rated at 100 GPM, you'll need 135 PSI to flow the full 100 GPM. Again, you can get away with considerably less for your purposes, but I'd shoot for something that can provide at least 50 or 60 PSI.

If the above is too involved for you, look at it this way: Ideally, I'd want at least 1000 gallons of water available, a gas engine pump that will flow at least 50 GPM @ 50 PSI, and the biggest hose you can afford, up to 1-1/2".

Check with your local fire department for help in designing and equipping your system.

As a past deputy fire chief, I can agree with every thing Fawteen said except the 1 1/2 hose. Dep't in Mass and Ct have long gotten away form 1 1/2 and gone to 1 3/4.. The difference in price is negligible.. The difference in volume is exceptional.. A good gasoline fired pump (volume over pressure), about 500 last I checked, four lengths of 1 3/4 a plastic nozzle and hopefully a large inground pool or large pond near your home, should do you fine. I forget the actual figures, but say a 50ft length of 1 1/2 holds 55 gallons of water, the 1 3/4 holds 72.. More times than not, that extra few gallons can make or break a situaton. The deadliest areas of any home is under the kitchen sink, then all drapes, coverings on couches and this type of thing.. Not the burn rate, the fume and shut down your lung quick type rate..

I have been a professional firefighter for 28 years. In regards to the 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 hose the volume the hose holds (static) is immaterial. What matters is which hose is coupled to a pump that can supply the nozzle with the required volume and pressure for reach and penetration. 1 1/2 should supply 125 gpm at 100psi. 1 3/4 200gpm at 100 psi. (all these figures depend on the nozzle and it's required pressure!!). I would rather a have a 1" line with with a 100psi at 30gpm than an 1 3/4 flowin 50gpm at around 50psi after fricton loss from the pump to the nozzle.
    I have put out a lot of fire with a 1" line. But a 1 3/4" works a whole lot better with the proper pressure and gpm.
    Just my .02
    Mike

You are correct, Sir, on the 1-3/4. My thinking was he might be able to get some used 1-1/2 from a department that's moving up. Dunno tho, there may be a liability issue with a FD selling (or giving away) used hose. Dang lawyers...

We're still using 1-1/2 mostlly because we have a potload of it and it would be expensive to replace it all.

Obviously, you are also correct. I'm thinking about one inexperienced man trying to control an 1-3/4 hose flowing rated GPM tho. It'd be an awful handful, and a PITA to try to drag very far charged. I suspect (based entirely on guesswork) that for an exterior attack, the reduced pressure/flow would be offset by the improved ease of handling.

Ideally, full attack pressure and a couple of hose handlers would be best, of course.

Who looks after the house when no one is home?

Perhaps a sprinkler system. May not look nice.

Or perhaps just make sure the fire insurance policy is paid up.

Egon.

Nick,

This might be just a bit off point, but I feel it's worth mentioning when talking about the possibility of a house fire.

If you have anything other than a ranch style home where you might not feel comfortable jumping out of a window, seriously consider buying some of those chain or rope ladders designed to hook over the base of a window and let you climb down to safety.

I have worked for Oklahoma City Fire Dept. for the past 8 yrs.
    On rural fires where there isn't a hydrant we use a floto pump. It is a gas powered engine that sits on a little plastic raft and you hook up a 1"1/2 hose line to it and pump water from a pool, pond or holding tank. If its a huge fire we set up drafting tanks and pump to the rigs on the scene. But for your situation I would look into getting a floto-pump.